Post # 1
I want to reserve a block of hotel rooms for my Out of Town guests, and based on what I’ve read on the boards, it seems like people tend to do this 8-12 months in advance. However, the hotel closest to my venue (which gives a discount for block of rooms reserved by people using said venue) only accepts reservations 90 days prior. Meaning I couldn’t block off rooms until June for my Sept wedding. We’ll be inviting 50 rooms’ worth of Out of Town guests.
So, is it crazy to wait until only 3 months prior to reserve the block of rooms? Should I research other hotels in the area, realizing that they will all be substantially farther from my venue (a few miles, as compared to literally a block away)? Tell me – WWTHD (what would the hive do)?
Post # 3
- Wedding: March 2010 - Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay
if it’s the hotel that has the 90 day restriction, then i think it is okay to wait until that mark to make the hotel block. just in case, though, maybe add another option to be safe? you could explain to your guests on a website, word of mouth, invite insert, about the different options and how the hotel closest to your venue only accepts reservations 3 months in advance.
Post # 4
Does this hotel not update their calendar more than 3 months in advance? That sounds really strange. It sounds to me like if no one is allowed to reserve any rooms more than 3 months in advance, then all the rooms should be available for you to reserve for your block if you call at 8am the first day you are allowed to reserve the rooms.
Post # 5
i’m actually having a lot of Out of Town guests too, and started looking for hotel room blocks..but in your case, if the place says 3 months, i’d say maybe try calling them to just inform them about your wedding..let them know that you need a lot of rooms and if it’s ok to reserve them 3 months in advance or if you could possibly reserve them earlier?…good luck=)
Post # 6
We reserved a block of rooms about 4 months in advance (I think). The hotel releases those rooms (and the discount disappears) within 30 days of the event. I’d suggest asking the hotel manager to let you reserve 4 months in advance-if they won’t budge, you can either look elsewhere or wait another month. Either way, I think you’ll be fine.
Post # 7
I said wait until 90 days out and call your hotel of choice. If they can’t accept other reservations, then you shouldn’t have to worry about them being booked. Did you make sure they don’t make exceptions for large blocks of rooms? If I was you I would called at about 93ish days out and ask if they can block them off yet, since you need quite a few. Or else figure out exactly when 90 days is, and call first thing in the morning to make sure you get them!!!
Post # 8
I booked the hotel for our out of town guests pretty much immediately after we got engaged.
I ended up being able to get a pretty good rate with the hotel but then a family friend who’s a travel agent offered to help out and was able to negotiate an even better deal for us.
Post # 9
@redherring – I would call that hotel and ask them specifically. Be like, I want to bring you a full weekend’s worth of business – how can i do that? and if they don’t work for you, i say go somewhere else and rent a trolley. Nuts to a place making it too hard to make everyone’s lives easier.
Post # 10
have you already talked to someone at the hotel about making an exception for a group reservation? or asked someone at your venue what people usually do?
Post # 11
@finnaroo – I contacted the coordinator at my venue, and he gave me the discount code to use but warned me that the hotel doesn’t book more than 90 days in advance. After all of the NYE celebrations are over, I’ll probably call the hotel and see what they say.
Post # 12
I think it’s worth calling and checking to see if they can make an excpetion. If not, if it were me, I’d probably wait until 90 days before and book the super-close hotel. We actually didn’t book our hotel until a few months out (it was just something I didn’t want to deal with, so I kinda put it off). We were still able to find a hotel that gave us a good rate, good location and the availability we needed.
Post # 13
Could people reserve rooms at a further hotel then at the 90 days, cancel the first reservation and book one at the closer hotel?
This could ensure that people will have a room SOMEWHERE – just incase the close hotel isn’t able to accommodate everyone.
Post # 14
I just got mine done this week for my wedding in August. I also live in a coastal California tourist trap so I wanted to make sure to get this done early.
Post # 15
1. I laughed REALLY HARD (and I rarely laugh aloud at stuff I read) at your 4th option, and am incredibly glad that I’m not the only one who has a poll-compulsion.
2. They won’t let guests reserve rooms until 3 months ahead, or they won’t let you reserve a block of rooms until that late? Theoretically, if no one (i.e. outside your wedding guests either) can get rooms there until 3 months ahead, then the rooms will all be open and you can reserve the very instant they open on the first day you can.
3. Have you talked to the manager to see if they could make an exception for you? It seems like they’d want your business for 50 rooms worth, ideally enough to work WITH you!
Post # 16
book the other farther away hotel now to be on the safe side, then see if you can add the closer one later. Or see if they can get you the block sooner. Making a block is different from reserving a room. So see how they can accomodate you. after all, you are the ones bringing them a lot of business.