Post # 16
I don’t think you’re having the water issue that some people mention. Yours sounds like a nickel allergy. It’s pretty common these days, having a rhodium plated ring (Most white gold is rhodium plated) or plated in Palladium will solve the issue til the coating wears off.
Post # 17
- Wedding: May 2015 - Walnut Hill Bed & Breakfast
I take mine off for cooking, cleaning, showering, etc. Usually i just take it off and put it in it’s box on my nightstand when i get home and don’t put it back on until i leave the house. I’ve never had a rash. I am allergic to nickel and my white gold ring hasn’t given me any issues.
Post # 18
I’ve been trying to keep my hands dry after washing them in case it’s soap/moisture under the rings after washing my hands that is causing the rashes. I feel like it takes them hours to completely dry under the rings unless I take them off EVERY time I wash my hands, and leave them off until my hands are completely dry! Do people usually do this every time they wash their hands, if concerned about the ring rash? It seems really high maintenance, but I’ll continue trying what I can to determine what is causing the rash. If I get it again after making sure I’m keeping my hands/rings clean and dry, I’m guessing an allergy is definitely the cause. But right now I’m not sure if allergy is the answer as it only seems to crop up every 6-12 months, and if it was an allergy I think my skin would break out long before that?
Post # 19
If you have a metal allergy maybe this will work. As a child I had a terrible reaction to any plated jewelry especially earrings, my mom use to take clear nail polish and just give the part of the jewelry that came into direct contact with my skin a couple of coats. This is harmless to the ring, you may what to give the inside of the ring a coat or two of clear nail polish.
As for dampness and moisture trapped under the ring, you could try a talcum powder. After you washed and dried your hands you could sprinkle some powder under the ring. This might get messy, but could work.
Post # 20
I have a nickel allergy. My original wedding band was 10k gold and gave me that awful rash. I got a new wedding set bc it was so bad 🙁 maybe you can have it redipped?
Post # 21
msmorganitebee: I am a newbie to jewelry, so never thought of having my rings redipped! I’ll keep that in mind if it turns out to be an allergy, thanks!
Post # 22
Beedoglady: Thanks for the tips, I’ll try the clear nail polish an powder idea!
Post # 23
- Wedding: June 2015 - Lake Merced Golf Club
I had a horrible rash on my finger where it was actually turning black under my ering. I realize that it was definitely from moisture retention since i washed my hands about 15+ times a day (Im a preschool teacher) and I wasnt completely drying underneath my ring. Now I try to take it off when washing, and it has made a world of difference!
Post # 24
I had it due to metal allergies, so I stopped wearing that ring. I stick to platinum now. No more rash. 😉