Post # 1
What traditional rules are you breaking? And by rules, I mean customs, tradition, ect.
- I’m having a short coffee/latte colored wedding gown.
- I’m not having a boquet/garter toss.
- We’re having cupcakes! OH NOES! It will look like a kids birthday party!
- We’re not having the dances. I think I can honor my mother and father in a different way.
- We’re not having favors.
- We are going to have the First Look so the whole bride doesn’t see groom until the double doors open thing has been tossed in the trash.
- I’m writing my own ceremony so no “With this ring, I thee wed” stuff.
What traditions are you throwing out of the window?
- Not providing return postage and giving them the option to RSVP online.
- Not having a head table.
- Probably not having a seatheart table either.
- most likely will be sitting at the banquet table with our guests.
- groom is wearing Chuck Taylors and a seersucker suit!
Post # 3
This may sound really lame, but I’m wearing black accessories! GASP. No seriously, I want to wear a black sash at the reception, and my grandma is appalled by it.
Post # 4
We had donuts instead of cake.
Our moms catered the reception.
I wore sneakers.
Our ceremony music was hodge podge. Moms walked in to Pachelbel’s Canon, bridesmaids walked into Everything by Michael Buble, I walked in to Joy by Apollo 100 and the recessional was Fishin in the Dark by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.
Post # 5
-We didnt want to do a garter boquet toss either, but we did anyways and mixed it up by placing lottery and scratch tickets to the items and then threw them to ALL the ladies and ALL the men (so the singles didnt have to be singled out) so that EVERYONE could try and “get lucky” that night
– we did a first look
– we did cupcakes
– we did the reception right after the ceremony
– our favours were candy from the candy buffet
– I wore purple shoes,…which tech isnt a rule breaker in the wedding world, but it was a shock to my family!
Post # 6
I’m not having a traditional wedding party. I have a Man of Honor, we’ll have girls and guys standing on both sides. Oh and they’re uneven 5 guys 3 girls.
Post # 7
Walking myself down the aisle
Having a dessert buffet, maybe will have a little cake to cut
No speeches, unless someone gets hammered and goes for it
No formal dancing set up
and last but not least (and i’m nervous to say this out loud to the hive) i’m not having a photographer–we’re having a camera bar
Post # 8
Oh, and I’m showing all of my tattoos. David Tutera would have a fit!
Post # 9
@Miss Peach Tree: a camera bar? What’s that!? I’m interested!
Post # 10
I’m not having bouquet/garter toss
I am Considering cupcakes
I am Giving my guests the option to RSVP online [oh horror!]
No rehearsal dinner
No father daughter dance, we will just have a family dance
I opted out of wearing an engagement ring [my friends think I’m insane]
I am wearing bright colored flats
Post # 11
I am not having a garter/bouquet toss
I am wearing bright pink colored crinoline & shoes (a big shocker to my family)
Groom has no bridal party standing with him
We are doing 1st look w/ pics before the ceremony
I am walking down the aisle alone
No father/daughter groom/mother dance
We are having a candy buffet for favors
I will be walking down the aisel to Someday by Rob Thomas
We are having a sand ceremony (not sure if this is a tradition or not)
and 2 of my tattoos will be showing (not sure most of my family knows about them)
Post # 12
- No bouquet/garter toss
- No special dances
- We’re doing a “first look”
- No bridesmaids or groomsmen only a Maid/Matron of Honor and Bridesmaid or Best Man
- NO KIDS except my own and the Flower Girl
- Writing our ceremony (Right there with ya Miss Tattoo!)
- My 14 year old son is walking me down the aisle and yes my father is still very much alive and we have a great relationship
- Last but not least we are getting legally married this month and we are having a full wedding and not a vow renewal in April.
I fully intend to buck even more tradition before the wedding gets here.
Post # 13
@Violet Violet: I did that too! At first my mom thought I was nuts but after the wedding she told me she loved it.
Post # 14
We’re doing cupcakes too! I don’t like cake but I love the way cupcakes look. My mom thinks we’re breaking the rules because we’re not opening gifts at the wedding. She thinks it’s rude to open them later because people want to see you open them and be thanked in person. As if! I would be so bored if I went to a wedding and had to watch people open gifts.
Post # 15
I wore bright pink shoes, which even on the day of the wedding my step-mother was making remarks about.
My dad walked me down the aisle, hugged me, shook hubs hand and that was it. No I give this woman stuff. I’m not property and have been on my own for a while.
Our ceremony music was all by Yurma. You tube him he’s awesome!
My hubs and I wrote the whole ceremony. No prayers or hymns. And there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s beautiful for the right people – it just wasn’t for us. But most people at the wedding are Southern Baptists and were in shock.
We had a 5pm ceremony, dinner was served buffet style (normal where I’m at) at 6:30pm…and it was breakfast food. Waffles, eggs, bacon, omlets, nom nom nom.
Our cake was pink and square with spacers – my dad didn’t understand. He thought it looked stupid because it wasn’t white and round.
Our colors were black and white with hints of pink, so there was a lot of black going on…I think my aunt almost fainted when she saw all the black linens.
We had tall pink gladiola center pieces for half the tables. Apparently glads are a “funeral” flower? I think they’re pretty!
ummm yeah…not nearly as daring as some of the ladies here…but for us it was fighting and defending tooth and nail on some of these “weird” ideas.
Post # 16
@Miss Tattoo: I have 13 tattoos and all but 3 will be showing!!! I only know a few people that my Fiance has invited so most will be a little shocked I’m sure. Including his step-father whom I’ve never met or had a conversation with. EEk! lol