- 4 years ago
- Wedding: October 2011
My cousin was recently married at Oasis at Wildhorse Ranch in Tucson, AZ and it was a very intimate and beautiful wedding.
For 6 months we worked on how to integrate the following into their wedding: cowboy/western, rustic elegance, sunflowers, and outdoor ceremony and venue. The groom was insistent on wearing denim starched jeans and a yellow shirt with a vest and cowboy boots, and the bride had chosen green bridesmaid dresses.
We really struggled to pull the colors together and still keep the cowboy and rustic elegance theme. I must say, we definitely pulled it off! Our florist (Posh petals-highly recommend!) created the perfect blend to pull together the green and yellow colors in the bouquets, table centerpeices, and floral sprays for the ceremony aisle. We created the ceremony site with ivory tulle and silk sunflower sprays bought from Hobby Lobby. We picked wild sunflowers in N. Arizona and pressed the petals between books. The petals were scattered on tabletops and used in the petal cones for the ceremony petal toss.
We bought 2 huge pots of yellow Mums at costco for $15 each and wrapped the bottoms in burlap and lace. We used in the ceremony and then moved them to the sweetheart table for the reception.
For the reception, we decided to skip the burlap runners that are so popular right now, and went with burlap tableclothes (purchased from Sav-on crafts) and lace runners, over ivory floor length linen. We continued the burlap theme by using runners on the gift table, sign-in table, etc. The centerpeices were modest but carried the sunflower theme. We focused more on simple decor and put a lot of emphasis into the lighting. We used TONS of tealight candles, twinkly lights, and paper luminarias through the whole reception site. It gave the venue such an incredibly romantic glow.
For all the signs, we went to home depot and bought wood in the discount bins that were warped and cracked. After cutting them to desired length, we beat them with chains and hammers and beat up the corners of the wood to distress it. Then we soaked the boards in buckets of water for a few minutes and stained them. (The water prevents the stain from getting to dark. The stain settles deeply in the distress marks but not too deep everywhere else.) After drying for 24 hours we painted them with white acrylic paint. We probably made close to 50 signs.
We gathered a lot of inspiration from posts and pictures on wedding bee, pinterest, and other internet wedding sites.
Hopefully this helps to inspire someone who is struggling to pull together similar colors or themes.
The first few pictures are inspiration boards I created in Microsoft Publisher. These were the top runners.
This below picture is the inspiration board the bride and groom finally chose. The rest are the pics of the actual wedding.