- 6 years ago
- Wedding: September 2016 - Blue Hound Farm
I’m so so disappointed. The search for a ring started in March, and has literally been one disaster after another. A little background:
First, I’m allergic to nickel. It is truly a curse when it comes to engagement rings; without it, I could easily walk into any jeweler and pick out a ring that would either be ready on the spot, or soon thereafter. But because I’m allergic to white gold, platnium is almost always out of our price range for the style I want (and I don’t love how quickly platnium goes dull) and palladium is always special order, trying to buy a ring has been such a process.
After visiting numerous jewelers and checking literally every major jeweler online, we finally settled on a local custom jeweler who had amazing prices in platnium. But after beginning a design with them, I quickly realized that working with this jeweler was a very unpleasant and unhappy experience. He was not open to any changes I wanted to make, and I was actually scared to tell him if I was unhappy with design elements. I ended up crying after leaving his store one day, and then decided that I couldn’t have my ring tainted with so much negative energy.
So then I decided to take the advice of many bees, and contact David Klass. It was now May. I had hoped to have a ring on my finger before the wedding we were attending at the end of the month, but I let go of that idea and was pretty excited to be working with someone who was so widely praised. But I quickly realized that if we continued to attempt to work with David, I’d be lucky to have a ring by Aug. Email communication was spotty and sporadic, and given the exchange and back and forth that is necessary to tweak a design, and the fact that it was at least a week in between his emails, I got really frustrated and decided I couldn’t work with someone who couldn’t maintain decent communication times. A good thing, because I never even told Klass that I had decided to go a different direction, he just never even answered my last email. I never heard from him again
So after two failed attempts to go custom, I decided to go ready made and began tracking down designers who work in palladium. After a bunch of research, I came upon ArtCarved, they make beautiful rings and routinely work in palladium. I tracked down a semi-local jeweler who had great prices and good reviews. My SO placed the order for the ring aboutthree weeks ago, and the jeweler told us the setting would be at his shop within 10 days, two weeks max. So we sent him our diamond. This was early June.
I’ve been asking my SO to call the jeweler and check up, but I know he wants the proposal to be a surprise, so when he kept telling me he forgot to call, I assumed he was just trying to make me think that he wasn’t on top of it, and that the ring was likely finished and either in the mail, or in his possession. WRONG. I asked my SO yesterday and he said he had called the jeweler and was told this:
THE RING WONT BE READY TIL MID JULY. I was livid and called the jeweler myself. The guy is claiming that all of artCarved is shut down for vacation, and that theyre telling him July 15, but that it could be longer. WTF!! I asked him where his 10 day quote came from then, and also at what point was he going to notify us of this, had we not called him?!? His answers were useless, and he pretty much just shrugged off all blame.
I’m so disappointed bees, and really disgusted with this jeweler. I have no idea if he’s even telling the truth, and if we have any reason to believe that it will even be ready in July either. Now I’ll be lucky to be engaged by my bday july 25!
My SO refuses to propose with a stand in which I really don’t understand and I’m just so sick of having to keep the biggest thing in my life right now a secret from everyone but a couple of my closest friends/family. I want to be engaged!
I guess I just need some encouragement and also some advice on what to do regarding this jeweler. Should we look into getting our deposit and diamond back and go elsewhere? I’m just so sick of dealing with this, but I’m scared that we’ll get the run around from this guy indefinitely, it really concerns me that we didn’t get a call ASAP when he realized there was an issue with his original timeline, that we had to call him to find out.
What should we do bees?