(Closed) Save the dates?

posted 5 years ago in Paper
  • poll: Are Save The Dates Necessary? Are you sending them?

Yes

No

Depends on your guest list

• Post # 2
    7892 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

I’m getting married that day too! Save-The-Date Cards are just another unnecessary wedding cost. If everyone already knows the date, what’s the point of sending an STD? We sent out our invitations earlier this month to accommodate out of towners who would need to plan more complicated travel itineraries. 

Post # 3
    2425 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2015

I would just send the invites in ealry March. 

Post # 5
    297 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2017

I don’t think save the dates are necessary in your case. I will be sending out save the dates because I will be having a lot of out of town guests, so I want to make sure that they have enough time to get time off and book their flights at a reasonable cost. It also gives them time to figure out their plans before sending the invitations.

Post # 6
    252 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2015 - Family Farm and hall -- small town

View original reply
    jwaka24:  I agree with you! 

A May wedding that is on the smaller side I dont think you need STD’s plus you don’t really have time before the invites I’d skip them. 

I am getting married in August over 300 people over half my guests are out of town I am sending out my STD’s in 2 weeks as well

Post # 7
    9521 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper

You don’t need them. We chose to them for our October wedding. It’s not necessary but we talked about the idea of doing a poker chip (my fiancé has over 80 chips that he has collected around the world in wall displays in his office, this is a cute nod to his hobby). We decided on these before we decided on invitations.

Post # 8
    249 posts
    Helper bee

We just sent out e-mail Save the Dates about 8 months before the wedding and used those to send people our wedding website (which included info about venues, registries, and our wedding party) and then people replied with their mailing address. Cost us nothing and we used one of our engagement photos.

We sent out our invitationg around 4 months before the wedding and got the RSVPs back within a month or so. We wanted to make sure we had our head count figured out so we could look closer at our budget and still have time to make changes if needed.

View original reply
    shools164:  

Post # 9
    10 posts
    Newbee

View original reply
    shools164:  I’m with others on this point- I don’t think they are necessary, especially this close to your date, and moreso if your out-of-towners definitely know the date. 

I think that for many couples they are completely unnecessary wedding cost, particularly if your guests are mostly local. Don’t let the wedding industrial complex talk you into something you don’t need or want!

That being said… 🙂 we are sending them out 8 months before our wedding only because so many of our guests will have to make some travel plans to attend. Our families and most of our friends live in other states, and they are so scattered that this would be the case no matter where we get married!

The topic ‘Save the dates?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors