(Closed) save the dates?!?

posted 4 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 2
297 posts
Helper bee

How about email save the dates?? It worked out great for us!!

Post # 3
611 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2015

backflipper86:  Save the dates aren’t necessary at all. The only people who would maybe need a save the date might be your out of town guests but even then probably not. I feel like my save the dates were a waste of money. Most people didn’t start making their arrangements until I sent out the invites.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  ErinEllen.
Post # 4
61 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2016

I think it’s a nice courtesy for people that live more than a few hours away. If you think about it they have to schedule time off work, book a hotel, etc. If they have to book flights the earlier they book the more they save and if you get married during the summer that’s the most expensive time to travel. If you are getting married during a busy time of year then I’d highly suggest at least sending some DIY save the dates to those who live more than 2 hours away. They don’t have to be anything flashy or expensive – heck you could probably get some card stock and a stamp from Etsy for $15. 

Post # 6
2805 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

You do not need to send them out. They are mostly helpful with destination weddings where people would need information much earlier to decide whether or not they can go.

I got pushed by my parents to send them since our wedding is on a holiday weekend, and a Sunday, and we have   a decent amount of out of town guests… Despite those reasons, Im still not convinced I need too… But I got mine for about $35, so it’s not breaking the bank to do so.

Post # 7
416 posts
Helper bee

We also did email save the dates. I recommend paperlesspost.com for pretty ones.

Post # 8
8918 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

backflipper86:  Nope, not necessary. They are a new developent, mostly a marketing gimmick to sell more crap. They can be useful if you have a lot of out of town guests who will need to make flight or hotel arrangments, or if it’s early on a weekday so people might need to take off work, but as PPs note, email can give the same info for free.

Post # 9
667 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

I did mine for about $30 including stamps.  The cards were about $10 designed with pics

Post # 10
223 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

I didn’t do them and the only person who cared was my soon-to-be brother-in-law. I. I got along just fine without, and so many people lose invitations that it’s just one more thing to misplace.

Post # 11
6 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2017

I have been going back and forth about save the dates but I found a good deal on vista print fir 50 postcards for 10 dollars im

debating about doing that 

Post # 14
112 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2016

I’m sure this is considered mean by some, but we aren’t doing it because we are hoping people don’t come. I’ll explain- our venue is pushing the limit on how many people we can have, but we love our venue and it’s very special to us. We were put into a position of inviting more people than we wanted to by our parent. Goal: no save the dates, less people are able to make it. Those that we want to “save the date” already know our date. 

Post # 15
1043 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2015

It’s appropriate to *tell* people about the wedding in advance of the official invitations, but you don’t need to do that by spending money on physical pieces of paper.

The topic ‘save the dates?!?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors