- 10 months ago
Our wedding is set for a little over 10 months from now. We booked everything in Nov 2019.
Right now, 100 guests are allowed (our area – Ontario, Canada – is doing well) …. But if it’s down to just the two of us an officiant/witness by then, so be it. For now, we are just planning as if all will go well, and if it doesn’t, we’ll adjust closer to.
Which brings me to save the dates amidst COVID.
So, (assuming our numbers don’t need to be restricted):
- About 20% of our guests are out of province (NB, Sask, Manitoba, and BC) or from the states (NY close to the border, Nashville, Texas, and Rhode Island). Some will make the long drive, some will fly, all will need hotels;
- 25% will be driving 5 hours, and will need hotels;
- 15% will be driving for 2-3 hours and will probably want hotels;
- 40% will be driving a little under an hour (my family) and a good chunk will probably want hotels because they like to stay late and drink
We had originally planned to send out our save the dates nowish, as many guests are travelling and we wanted to give them ample time. We actually ordered them ahead of COVID because they were heavily discounted, and have just been sitting on them.
But, we go back and forth on whether to send them out or wait.
On one hand, we are in the “proceed as normal and adjust for the worst if it happens” mindset. And our save the dates are just sitting around here. Not to mention, so many weddings we are invited to are being postponed to 2021, and for some reason, many of our friends and family members are getting engaged right now and aiming for 2021 (3 on my fiance’s side in the last month, 2 on mine, and 2 more any day now lol). Also, many of our friends/family have a bad travel bug after their vacations were cancelled, and will be booking something as soon as things look safe. This makes it seem like a safe bet to send them so (hopefully) we can avoid too many conflicting events.
On the other hand, who really wants to even think about going to a wedding right now? And it’s not like anyone can really plan. I guess our hotel block rooms are fully refundable, but other than that, it’s not like anyone is going to book their flights. Also, I know things are looking temporarily up in our area, and personally I’d be thrilled to start receiving save the dates and have something to *hopefully* look forward to …. But I understand many people would be very wary receiving it.