Save the Dates for Summer 2021 Wedding? Travelling Guests

posted 3 months ago in Etiquette
  • poll: When would you send out Save the Dates?

Nowish or the next few weeks

Later

• Post # 2
    10517 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2016

Just send them. No one has to make any plans the second they get them. You’re way overthinking.

Post # 3
    Hostess
    4629 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: November 2016

View original reply
    @roxeter:  I personally wouldn’t mind receiving a save the date for a 2021 wedding now, but I definitely won’t be booking any travel or RSVPing to a wedding until I see how vaccines go.  I know I am on the more strict side about gatherings, so others might feel differently.  

Post # 5
    109 posts
    Blushing bee

Since a majority of people continue to clear their social calendar, receiving a wedding invite might actually be a welcome change. It’s something to look forward to! ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope you are right about the numbers and possibility for weddings/receptions by then. Fingers crossed!

Post # 6
    1964 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2019

Nothing wrong with sending them now, but I personally would wait until November or so ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 7
    106 posts
    Blushing bee

View original reply
    @roxeter:  I would say go ahead and send them just so people ‘save the date’ if they need to reschedule their vacations from 2020 to a new date in 2021, so they don’t accidentally land on your date. 

My only concern is if restrictions mean you have to uninvite people… it might be awkward. So consider how you would handle that situation if you venue requires a lower capacity than the number of people you sent save the dates to. I’m sure people will generally be understanding though. 

Post # 8
    3420 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2017

I would just send them now. It’s impossible to know what next summer will look like, and I don’t think waiting a few months is going to make it any clearer. I sent my save the dates 10 months in advance and even then we had a ton of people asking about our date and location before then. 

Post # 9
    347 posts
    Helper bee

I would send them ASAP. There’s going to be a lot of people rescheduling their 2020 weddings for 2021, and you want to get on people’s calendars ASAP. 

If there are still restrictions, I think people will understand if you send them a follow up “join us virtually” and only include the immediate family or local folks. If it’s still awful then, or people are still cautious, they may be grateful to be let off the hook. And if they’re smart, they’ll look into refundable or exchange options for their travel. I’m headed to a reschedule wedding in July 2021, and I’m using travel insurance FOR SURE to protect myself. 

None of us knows what July 2021 will look like, but I say “hope for the best, plan for the worst” and move forward with life ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Post # 10
    13653 posts
    Honey Beekeeper

I’d send them 6 months out. We’ll know more by then and there’s nothing anyone is going to do about it now and I would not want to be committed to inviting 100 people for a June 21 wedding. Sure, it’s always understandable to cancel and do something intimate due to Covid, but what happens if you decide that only 50 is doable, for example? That gets too close to an A and B list for my comfort. 

For your VIPs, who will be included no matter what, you can always give them a personal heads up. 

Post # 11
    962 posts
    Busy bee

We got a few change-the-dates for weddings that were supposed to be this year postponed into 2021, and yeah there’s nothing to do but mentally note it, but I’m definitely not opposed to receiving mail for an event a year from now and just thinking “wow, I really hope things will be looking up and we can actually go”. Due to 2020 weddings being postponed and new engagements, we already have 7 weddings for 2021. So I think your instinct is correct.

I’d say send them – with the weirdness of this year I think it’s worth it to just let people know as they plan. 

Post # 12
    4481 posts
    Honey bee

View original reply
    @workingonmynightcheese:  unless you pay through the nose, all travel insurance excludes coverage for Covid now.

Post # 13
    207 posts
    Helper bee

I think I would wait.

Normally you send them in advance so that people can book travel while it’s still cheap/avoid conflicts. But no one is going to be booking any flights or hotels for that far ahead right now. Especially since the number of cases is currently on the rise. 

Also, if the max number for gatherings drops down to 50 or 20, you’re going to have to send out un-invitations, which sounds unpleasant lol.

I would wait a few months so you can see what happens with the upswing in cases over the fall/winter. 

Post # 14
    205 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2017

I’m also from Ontario and we’ve been declared a “hot zone” all the while we are reopening which makes no sense to me. That being said, I like your logic, plan for the best but expect the worst. It would be great to have your family travel to you, but I’m thinking it might not happen so I’m happy to hear you’re thinking about the what its. 

My vote is to send them now, so your family can also plan!

Post # 15
    47439 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

I would send them now. It’s not just about booking flights or hotels. There are going to be a zillion weddings next year, with all this year’s postponed celebrations and the usual yearly quota. Sharing the information helps your guests plan and makes other people aware of your chosen date.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors