(Closed) Scariest Thing Your Dog Has Eaten

posted 6 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
Member
2459 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2018

My dog ate a block of rat poison in our back yard that my dad had put under the shed.

I guess he wasn’t thinking she could get under there, but she did.

Had to rush her to the vet so they could clean out her stomach. Even then, she looked like she felt pretty crappy the rest of that day.

Post # 4
Member
202 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Oh, that would have scared me too!

 

Now technically this didn’t happen to MY pet but it happened to a very close friend’s pet.  He had gotten a disposable razor off the counter and had ingested 2 of the 3 blades and most of the handle by the time she got home from work.

She rushed him to the vet and they did some emergency surgery to remove the blades from his intestines, and thankfully he is fine! We call him the “garbage disposal” because he will literally try to eat anything now. She has to keep him put up now when she goes to work.

Post # 5
Member
3229 posts
Sugar bee

My puppy is 7 months old and loves to eat everything. He once swallowed an acorn that was too big for him. He started having convulsions and was choking. I freaked out and called Fiance but by the time he got to us, Bacon was fine.

Post # 6
Member
998 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

A bottle of ibuprofen. Not just the pills…the BOTTLE. The only thing left was part of the cap.  I “couponed” for that bottle too…so it is ironic that after the vet bills thst bottle ended up costing a FORTUNE.

FYI: Ibuprofen is VERY dangerous for dogs, if not treated it can become fatal for them. 

Post # 7
Member
251 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I turned my back on one of my dogs for a split second and he’d managed to swallow a tiny bit of plastic from his squeeky toy. He was very ill for a couple of days untill he finally managed to sick up the plastic, poor boy. But that might just be a greyhound reaction, very sensitive tums

Post # 8
Member
5800 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2011

Paintballs (the colorful poop was hilarious) and a giant bag of m&ms

Post # 9
Member
2447 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

An entire tin sardine can. Also tampons, underwear, cotton balls, tissues, a rock, and grapes (which can be fatal to dogs). 

Post # 10
Member
424 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

When our dog was a puppy she would get into EVERYTHING…balloons, chocolate chip cookies, cotton balls, tampons and one time even rat poison. The worst was definitely when she ate an entire rotisserie chicken…bones and all! We went upstairs to fold laundry and came down 15 minutes later to find the chicken on the counter gone!  It was pretty scary since chicken bones are so dangerous but she ended up being fine.  Now if we want to leave anything out we put it on top of the refrigerator.!

Post # 11
Member
881 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

My dog managed to get a tampon out of the garbage and ate it.  Of course, those are designed to expand and absorb, so it expanded in her intestines and got stuck.  She got really sick and couldn’t keep anything down.  They had done x rays before, but you can’t really see cotton on an xray and she used to get pancreatitis a lot too so they weren’t sure what was causing it. Then she also started screaming in pain in the middle of the night.   When we saw she was really in pain they scheduled her for emergency surgery the next day and were able to get the tampon out.  Apparently her body tried to digest it and managed to unravel it somewhat, but the doctors pulled out huge pieces of string (like a foot long or more).  She’s fine now but we need to find different trashcans.  We already had the ones with lids but she knows how to get into them anyway.  Our toilet had been broken at the time, I usually flush tampons. 

Post # 12
Member
5800 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2011

@MrsEagleEye:  My dog has eaten so many tampons I have lost count, thankfully he’s never had trouble digesting them

ugh he is so gross

Post # 13
Member
881 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@LGenz:  That’s great your dog didn’t have any trouble!  Mine ate a pad a couple months ago and was fine, but the tampon did her in.  She’s about 15 pounds though so she’s pretty small.  I imagine a bigger dog may have an easier time with it.

Post # 14
Member
408 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@MrsEagleEye:  I can’t recommend enough the thin simple human trash cans from Bed Bath and Beyond.  You can lock them, and you don’t have to use their trash bags, regular 13 gallon ones will work!

Post # 15
Member
109 posts
Blushing bee

The scariest thing my dog ever ate was a glass candleholder. She didn’t so much eat it, per se, as just crush it with her jaws–I think because she wanted to eat the candle inside; she ate other candles at other times and I think she liked them. I heard this unearthly CRUNCH and caught her in the act. Thankfully, it broke into biggish pieces only and she didn’t cut her mouth on it either. She lived another 8 years or so after this.

Post # 16
Member
5475 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

Luckily, two of my dogs are so big that it takes a LOT of something to make them sick.  Pearl ate a Christmas present left out for me (I have no idea what MrDane was thinking… it was on a table that is FACE LEVEL to the dog O.o) Anyway, she ate an extra dark Godiva chocolate bar… a big one.  Also, she ate some coffee beans, and danced the jig on the rest of them to really grind them into the beige carpet.  Thanks, thanks a lot.  She ended up being completely fine.

Also, the other dane, Duke, once got into a box of nutrigrain bars.  A few days later we were out on our poopie walk, and I went to bag his deposit when I noticed it was …shiny?  shimmery? metallic?!?  OH MY GOD my dog pooped out an entirely intact, undigested nutrigrain bar IN THE WRAPPER.  I had no idea that was even possible.

The topic ‘Scariest Thing Your Dog Has Eaten’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors