- 9 years ago
- Wedding: July 2010
My fiance and I live in New York, Brooklyn to be exact. We are getting married next July (2010) and are looking to make a move shortly thereafter.
I am an ESL (English as a second language) teacher in a public elementary school in Brooklyn. Because of this, our first requirements are that the city we live in is:
1. Culturally Diverse — I mean this in the most sincere way. I am NOT looking for a city that is "diverse", meaning, mostly black, or mostly latino, rather, a city that has a bit of many cultures, all encompassing if you will. I LOVE my current school in that I work with children from more than 20 different countries, with 10+ languages represented.
2. Culturally Accpeting — I do not want to live in a place that is resentful towards their changing population. I LOVE culture and language, and am really sick and tired of having to defend that.
3. Liberal — I need to be around liberal and progressive minded people.
4. Decent schools with a high demand for (ESL) teachers.
I work in Brooklyn, but at a pretty nice school. I am used to inner-city teaching, but don’t want to end up in the scariest of places. Oh, and good teacher salary would be nice.
My fiance is currently not working, as he has a severe back injury, which leads me to the next requirement.
5. Good weather, not too rainy, not too cold. The number one reason for our move is to relocate to a place that won’t aggravate his condition. Rain and cold weather aren’t a good match for him, though, we are willing to compromise (to an extent — we are considering Berkeley, CA for example) for the above requirements. Also, I’m a gardener, and am longing for year round flowers and freshly grown veggies.
We own 2 American Pit Bull Terriers. We love our dogs, and we love the breed. Our other requirements are:
6. Dog Friendly and no Breed Specific Legislation (ie. Mandatory muzzling of PBs in public). We would like either: dog beaches, dog trails, towns/cities that are dog friendly in general. Oh, and a back yard.
7. City-ish.We’d like to live somewhere urban-ish, but fairly safe. (My fiance doesn’t want to live in a big city, and I don’t want to live anywhere very rural….
8. Lastly, we’d like to be able to buy either a. land, or b. a good starter house, but are open to renting when we arrive to make sure we buy somewhere we’d definitely like to live.
So… Help me out here and try to sell me on your city!