Post # 1
I’m just going to pinpoint things that have been irritating me to just write it out quickly and be over it.
- They are absolutely inconsiderate. IE: Fiance and I were sleeping with the door open this morning because our power was out from hurricane. We wanted the air flow since our room is a hot box. They were up at 6 am talking LOUD as could be, slamming things around the kitchen, talking on the phone, etc. I’m sorry, but that’s absolutely rude. It’s not like it was 10/11 am and we were still sleeping. They bitch at us if we make a peep after 8 pm. Well, more his father. You literally have to tiptoe.
- They are both currently “sick” with an upper respiratory infection. They are smokers. They are bitching they don’t feel good, hacking up a lung/mucus (ABSOLUTELY GROSS), and are continuing to smoke today. I’m sorry. I was a smoker and when I didn’t feel good, cigarettes were the LAST thing on my mind. I didn’t crave them. I didn’t smoke as well because I knew it would make the situation worse. Yet they will sit there and bitch, bitch, bitch. I am willing to bet all my money for the wedding that his father will call out tomorrow because he’s “sick”. Lazy asshole.
- One more thing regarding their smoke and inconsideration. They smoke in the house. When I first met Fiance, they never did. They were considerate. Now they became lazy. They have a mud room/garage that they can EASILY walk out to and smoke their cancer sticks. They refuse. I have asthma. FI absolutely hates the smell of smoke. Do they care? Nopes.
- I’m so sick and tired of hearing that “it’s their house”. Congratulations. I keep reminding them as does Fiance that we are ready to be out of “their house”. It wasn’t our choice to be stuck in “their house” for this long. We were only supposed to stay for about 2-3 months. Unfortunately, Fiance was laid off and has been searching for work ever since then.
- FI’s father only cares about himself. Plain and simple.
- I’m tired of us being caught in between their fights. Then treating us like we’re dirt after they make up.
I love my Future In-Laws. Don’t get me wrong. There’s plenty more that’s really irritating me about them. They’re definitely not the easiest people to live with. I’m sure Fiance and I aren’t as well. We both feel stuck and we’re trying our absolute best. We are working on moving before Christmas. Keeping our fingers crossed anyways. I am forever grateful that they are allowing us to stay with them. They HAVE helped us a lot these past few months. But I don’t understand their logic sometimes and the way that they act. It’s immature as well.
Sorry, I said this would be quick, but once I started I couldn’t stop. But I guess I should just shoosh now. I know that no one is perfect, but it’s really tough living under someone else’s roof when you’re completely different.
They always try to make us feel bad that they don’t have money. They’re doing pretty good. I won’t go into how much they spent this past summer because it is their business and their money. But Fiance will ask for something and his parents tell him to go buy it. I try my best to buy what I can. I am just starting my full-time position tomorrow so I will be making a bit more money especially because I’ll be working overnights. FI only gets about $225 a week from unemployment (he was screwed over by previous employer so that income wasn’t accounted for). He pays his bills and puts gas in the car that they make him run for them. It’s just… tiring.
Thanks for reading.
Post # 3
Living with family can be really stressful and completely awkward at times!!
Hopefully the time will go by quick and Fiance and you will be back out on your own!
Post # 4
im sorry!! sending you lots of ((hugs))
thier house….thier rules
you guys are going to move out
Post # 5
We have no qualms with them about it being their house. They enforce that rule with stupid shit. That’s all. 🙂
Post # 6
Oh boy, I get you on the smoking thing. My parents smoked for many years, inside the house, and it drove me nuts. It was their house, but it is just so irritating when people who smoke complain about being ill/coughing or not having money, because smoking is very much a contributing factor! Hello! The sad part is that even after certain family members have had cancer (more than once), only the person with lung cancer quit smoking. The rest just smoke away, seemingly oblivious!
On the upside, I am a very light sleeper, so listening to them cough themselves to sleep every night is probably what kept me from ever lighting up myself.
Post # 7
I am torn on this one. I totally agree that if you are living under their roof, you need to follow their rules and their schedule. It sucks, but it’s how it is sometimes.
That being said…their rules could actually kill you because of your asthma.
Unfortunately, I have never found a way to ask a smoker not smoke that hasn’t ended in me being called a fascist (yes, apparently I am trampling on their “Contitutional right” to smoke in my face) despite the fact I literally cannot breathe.
Get out of that house before it kills you.
Post # 8
THEIR. THEIR. THEIR. Sorry, just couldn’t get passed that lol. Though you did have a good point. OP it sucks, by try to remember you’re a guest. And that this too shall pass. GL!
Post # 9
You just reinforced my decision to NOT move in with FIL’s for a few months to save up money for a house.
I love them, but FMIL’s little quirks that are mildly irritating would soon have me in a bell tower with a rifle ranting about how I am an adult and well aware of my finances, and you know, if I want to buy new lip gloss it’s my business!
So yeah, thank you for reaffirming my decision. 🙂
Good Luck and just keep your eye on your new place. You’ll be out of there soon.