(Closed) September 11, 2010?

posted 9 years ago in September 2010
Post # 3
2365 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

The only dates left in ’09 when I booked was 9/11 and my date – October 24th … I looked into 2010 and it was all booked for the entire spring/summer and some dates left for fall – which I didn’t want to wait that long but the date that kept coming up everywhere was 9/11. 

I just wouldn’t get married on 9/11 because it has such a stigma attached to it now.  

Post # 4
618 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

Honestly, as a wedding guest, I wouldn’t mind going to a wedding on September 11th.  I wouldn’t be offended or anything – but here in the midwest, we’re a little more isolated from what happened, as opposed to you in NY.  How does your family feel?  What about friends?  I think it’d be nice to have your officiant say a prayer at the ceremony or have some kind of remembrance in your program. 

Post # 5
4466 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I’m live in NYC, so I’m a bit biased.  I wouldn’t have any problem with going to a wedding on 9/11, but I just wouldn’t want it for my own date.  Living in NY, you get it shoved in your face all day long (esp when you work near the WTC like I do!).  It’s on cars, posters, memorabilia, store windows, graffiti…it’s just everywhere.  For me, there would just be too much of a stigma/negative connotation attached.

Post # 6
337 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I think it would be great to have something really positive and celebratory to associate with the date instead.  As a guest, I’d find it a relief to have something so upbeat to do on that day as attending a wedding.  Kind of making it about rebirth and hope rather than just tragedy.

Post # 7
6597 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

I really wanted an early Sept 2010 wedding but I was disappointed with the choices. The first weekend is the long weekend and the second was Sept 11th!

I just couldn’t do it – when I think of my anniversary I want it to be filled with ONLY thoughts of my wedding and my relationship and I just couldn’t do that with Sept 11th!

Post # 8
2007 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

I really like the idea of reclaiming the date.  The stigma will fade (not too many girls are worried about December 7th and Pearl Harbor, you know?)  My future in-law’s anniversary is September 11th.  That said, I wasn’t as impacted by the events as a lot of people were.  Our rehearsal dinner will be on the 11th.  I guess at least we’ll never have the excuse of forgetting our anniversary! 

Post # 9
3162 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I think it’s fine assuming that no one in your circle of family and friends was directly affected by the attacks. Also, while it was an unthinkably horrible thing and a national tragedy, I think it would be good to – as others said – reclaim that date as something positive and celebratory in your life. I think it’s important that we remember as a nation, but I don’t think it needs to be a day of mourning and sadness forever. The Pearl Harbor comment was a very valid one to that end.

Post # 10
97 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

Ditto Kittyachi 100%.  Only you can decide it it would be a good date for you.

Post # 11
4480 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: March 2010 - Calamigos Ranch

My dad’s birthday is September 11, and it’s always weird to figure out if we’ll go out on his brithday or the day before/after. Hopefully your anniversaries wouldn’t feel that way to you. 😉

I don’t know. Tragedies happen any and every day of the year, but life has to go on. It depends on how you feel about this particular one. I think it’s okay to do a Sept. 11 wedding, but how do *you* feel?

Post # 12
290 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

I’m all for reclaiming the date! I might try to rephrase it on the invitations “The eleventh of September,” for example. And of course be prepared to hear a few comments.

Post # 13
117 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

We were going to have ours on September 11, 2010 too, and only chose the weekend before because we have a ton of out of town guests and wanted to give them the Labor Day weekend. Go for it girl, don’t worry about it.

Post # 14
606 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Ooo that’s a sticky one. As long as you don’t work at the Pentagon, live in the area that had the incident in PA, or live in NYC you should be ok. That’s like my FI’s friend whose birthday is Sept. 11th. It was his birthday WAY before those bafoons decided to do what they did. If that’s what you want, or what you are restricted to, do what you want! My only thing would be if you have a specific stigma (lost a family member/friend, etc) on that day and it would always carry a bad connotation for you.

Good Luck,

-Bella

Post # 15
2470 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

our vendor actually said we could get money off if we chose 9/11 … we went with 9/25. I don’t think our guests would even really think about it but I would!

Post # 16
151 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I don’t think it would be a problem.  I agree with what a lot fo people have said about reclaiming it for yourself and turning something negative into something positive! Smile  Yes, you may get some grumbles from some of your guests, but in the end it is your decision, and yours alone.

Good luck and keep us posted.

The topic ‘September 11, 2010?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors