(Closed) September 2013 Babies – Part 5

posted 8 years ago in Pregnancy
  • poll: I plan on having:

Natural no medication birth

Epidural

C-section

Water birth

Home birth

any other kind of birth (hit the comments)

• Post # 452
    63 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: February 2013

JuneKallah congratulations in your lil boy.  It must be so exciting to know.

Post # 453
    14 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: July 2012

View original reply
    @MissKabers:  Yep, my whole family is in the Philadelphia area, although that’s just my parents and my brother’s family, and then my aunt and grandmother are a little further west in Pennsylvania.  My sister-in-law has lived in Philly for the past few years too.  My husband’s parents are near DC, but his extended family is all in Ireland.  My parents are very vocal about wanting us to move closer but my in-laws have actually said we should stay in Boston for work, and I’ve wondered if that is because they chose to move to America themselves for work reasons when they were our age!  Families are complicated πŸ™‚

Speaking of families, is anyone planning to have your mom or another family member stay with you for a bit after the baby is born?  I know it’s pretty common, especially if family lives further away, but I wonder how it would affect the dynamic between me and my husband as brand new parents.  Maybe it makes the most sense after his short paternity leave is over.  What do you all think?

Post # 454
    38 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: June 2012

Thanks everyone!!  It was so awesome waking up and having it still be real.  Now we just have to fight all the inlaws about the name. πŸ™‚  I can’t wait to hear which sex all of you are having soon!!

In answer to Tracylesq, we asked if my doctor if he would be able to tell us before he started the ultrasound, so he knew he wanted to know.  We had our whole little meeting about other stuff with him first.  I’m sure, whether you’re doing it with a doctor or with a tech, that they’ll respect your wish not to know.  And to be honest, if he didn’t go, “Yep, that’s definitely a penis!!” we would have had no idea from just looking at the screen.  

Post # 455
    588 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

View original reply
    @JuneKallah:  Yay! How exciting!!

View original reply
    @TeaAndToast:  Assuming we aren’t still living with my mom, we know for sure Mother-In-Law is going to be staying with us around the time the baby comes. She’s 6+ hours away and I know she’s going to want to be there for the birth and for a bit afterwards so we’ll have lots of help. I think I would prefer for it to be just us but I know how much this means to Mother-In-Law and to DH to have his mother there.

Post # 456
    466 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

View original reply
    @JuneKallah:  YAY! That is so exciting!! Congratulations on your little man πŸ™‚

View original reply
    @TeaAndToast:  Before the potential move I hadn’t really had to think about that, my mom just lives 10 minutes away now, so I knew that would be close enough. Now, I am actually a little worried that she will want to stay with us when she comes back for the baby. I want her around, but like you I worry about how that will work with the dynamics with Destination Wedding and I  – and I want her to have some serious quality bonding time before she has to go back to work. My mom and I flew out to SF for my sister’s baby when it was born and we stayed around the corner in an apartment (thankfully if my mom came here she would have family to stay with to save $) and honestly, it was hard. I wanted to respect the fact that they needed time alone with the baby, but being out there for a whole week and just “waiting around” for when they would call to say we could help/see the baby felt difficult – and I know that my mom was a little hurt to have spent all that money/vacation time to really only see them an hour or two a day. Balancing all of that makes me reallllly worried. I know I will want her there for right when the baby is born, but I don’t want her there 24/7 when we get home. Ahhhhh, families! (sorry for the novel!) 

View original reply
    @tracylesq:  I’m nervous about that too! Or that I’ll be able to tell, though I think there is a very slim chance of that happening

Post # 457
    593 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

View original reply
    @MrsRose:  God bless you.  I’d go out of my mind if my Mother-In-Law was here for that long.  She’s coming this weekend and I’m already on edge.  Wink

Post # 458
    546 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

Had a regular midwife apt today. Heard the heartbeat right away and had some blood drawn…nothing fun…

27 days until my next ultrasound and when we find out if its a boy or girl!!!! OMG I hope these 27 days fly on by!!!

I’m soo jelly of you ladies who already know the gender/are farther along. I feel like I’m holding up the rear end of the September board (at least I’m not the only one!)

Post # 459
    588 posts
    Busy bee

FYI Babies R Us is have a buy 1 get 1 50% off sale on Thyme Maternity clothes. Only downside is it’s only one brand (Thyme) and you can only order online. I ordered some to see how they fit. I reviewed their return policy and it seems easy to return anything that doesn’t fit so I figured why not.

Post # 460
    1721 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2013

View original reply
    @JuneKallah:  congratulations!! Welcome to team BLUE!

Post # 461
    1272 posts
    Bumble bee

Hi ladies,

I’m so far behind again.. I was away for Easter and could only check in on my phone, and then got out of the swing again πŸ™‚

How far along are you?: 15 weeks, 1 day

Are you team blue/pink/green?: we are planning to find out, but not tell anyone (except the ‘bee of course) – although I’m starting to consider asking the tech to write it down for us and keeping it a secret until we can’t stand it anymore. Hubby isn’t convinced about this yet πŸ™‚

If you’re blue/pink, when will you find out?: haven’t booked it yet, but will be in about 4 weeks – woo!!

Have you felt baby move yet?: nope. can’t wait!!

Anything special coming up that you are excited  about? My best friend is have her c-section literally THIS MINUTE – can’t wait to meet baby this afternoon πŸ™‚ It’s her second, the first was breech so it was a c-section, now this one is a week and a half overdue, so they scheduled another one.

So, I’ve been doing LOTS of research this week on where and how we are going to birth. We are both finding ourselves more and more determined to have a no intervention birth, the more we talk about it and read about it. Not sure how it works there, but here in Aus we have a private and a public system – those who have health insurance (which has already cost us $1000s over past few years) can access the private system (with extra out-of-pocket charges in the $1000s), and everyone else goes public, where having a baby is essentially free. It’s obviously assumed that the care is better in private – but the c-section rate in private hospitals is around 40%, while public is 30% (still too high for my liking), and other interventions are also MUCH higher in the private system. We’re REALLY starting to question if we’ve made the right choice.

Also, I’ve just learnt about this awesome MAMTA programme in the public system, where you get one-on-one midwifery care, before, during and after birth. Satisfaction rates for both mother and midwife have been found to be higher, and intervention rates lower. But you have to apply, and I won’t find out until potentially AFTER we’ve paid our private OB fees at 20 weeks. Argh!!!

I’ve booked tours of both hospitals for this week, so that also might help us make up our minds. The public hospital has some home-style birthing suites, wheras I think the private only has traditional ‘clinical’ style rooms. But, the after delivery care (rooms, food, care and attention, lactation support) is meant to be much better at the Private Hospital.

I’m also investigating Calmbirth classes (not sure if they have them in US and Canada??) which should help no matter which hospital we choose. A friend raves about it. Oh, and barely anyone here homebirths – although there is a bit of a movement to try to make it more accepted again. Maybe for baby #2, if this one goes OK πŸ™‚

Do others have these difficult decisions to make? Or has everyone else done all of this work??! Anyone have an opinion about what I should do??!

Post # 462
    1272 posts
    Bumble bee

View original reply
    @MrsMaskatoBe:  congrats – beautiful photo!!! i guess you’ll have to update your screen name πŸ˜‰ what a big and exciting year for you!

View original reply
    @mtnhoney:  love that you’re having a homebirth, can’t wait to hear all about it!

View original reply
    @cowgirlace:  i love your gender reveal invite!! i haven’t heard of anyone doing these over here yet – they’re only just being mentioned on daytime TV as “the latest craze from the US”, haha πŸ™‚ We aren’t planning to tell anyway, but I think this is so cute. Good on you for baking yourself!

View original reply
    @DaisMay:  no need to upgrade cars, mine is fine, and hubby bought a WRX last year with the aim of buying little baby ‘racing seat’ carseat for the back. He MAY be more excited about this than almost anything else… πŸ˜‰

View original reply
    @MissKabers:  ugh, sorry to hear about your mum moving away. i’d feel the same if my dad and stepmum were moving away (mum is already 2 hours away, and that’s ok for us)

View original reply
    @cowgirlace:  i’m a bit worried about our dog – she’s SO good with kids but does love to sniff and lick them to see what’s going on. I think we can train this out of her though. She also sleeps on our bed, and has an annoying habit of barking in the middle of the night when neighbourhood dogs bark. We have some training to do!

View original reply
    @tracylesq:  i have big crazy dreams every night too. No specific theme though, just a bit of everything πŸ™‚

View original reply
    @JuneKallah:  congrats on the boy!! awesome to know and be able to think about ‘him’ πŸ™‚

View original reply
    @TeaAndToast:  i really hope our parents won’t want to stay with us – we won’t have a spare room once we set up the nursery, so having people sleep in the loungeroom would get old quickly. I think that my mum and hubby’s parents will be able to stay with other family and be nearby to visit (and help out) without feeling like they are in our way. And all except mum will be good at reading signals when it’s time to leave us alone – we might need to be a bit more direct with mum πŸ˜‰

View original reply
    @MissKabers:  that’s a really good point about ‘balancing’ having people around who want to visit but still not feeling like we should be entertaining them the whole time. Ooh, it’s going to be tricky!!

View original reply
    @Luckygir15:  i’m at the back of September too πŸ™‚ In fact, I’m starting to tell myself not to expect baby until early October, so I’m not too disappointed if I pass my due date.. haha

phew – sorry to anyone I missed!!

Post # 463
    593 posts
    Busy bee

View original reply
    @MrsRose:  I saw that yesterday too and I was all set to get some of the maternity underwear until I realized it would cost almost as much to ship them as to buy them.  Way too expensive at $21 to ship four pairs of underwear.  

Post # 464
    588 posts
    Busy bee

View original reply
    @tracylesq:  Oh yea that makes sense. I guess I bought more than $79 and got free shipping.

Post # 465
    401 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: March 2011

Aren’t we a quiet bunch today?!

I pulled the trigger and ordered my crib, and I’m super excited!  We’d better get busy clearing some room in the garage, though, because I’ve already received the notification that it shipped…

Post # 466
    546 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

I went out to eat last night with my inlaws and DH. After we got home, my DH went upstairs and pooped for what seemed like forever. I mistaningly went up stairs only a few minutes after he was finished and then proceeded to puke my guts out from the foul smell! What made it worse is I couln’t make it back downstairs to puke in the smell free bathroom so I had to puke in the disgusting bathroom.

I’ve had no MS at all, and now I’m wicked sensitive to bad smells!! WTF???

Later that night my stomach starting rumbling but I climbed in bed hoping it would just go away on its own… 2 minutes later I let out a TINY fart….I completly “dutch ovened” my poor DH who was trying to snuggle with me. He practicly fell out of bed for clean air. I then laughed so hard, I cried… (HAVE NOT done that in forever!)

Sorry for the Too Much Information, but I imagine a few of you would be entertained by my misfortune!! LOL

The topic ‘September 2013 Babies – Part 5’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors