(Closed) September 2015 Mamas-To-Be Part 6

posted 5 years ago in Pregnancy
  • poll: What activity are you most looking forward to this summer?

Spending time gardening/working in the yard/enjoying the patio

Lounging by the pool/at the beach

Getting the house baby-ready

Sweating in 90* heat while feeling like Shamu ;)

• Post # 123
    793 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

View original reply
    FreckledFox:  I have been too! I’m trying so hard not to buy too many outfits. It’s not easy, haha!

Post # 124
    Hostess
    8146 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2012

View original reply
    jenm2be:  I am refusing to buy any and all outfits until after the shower. We’ll see what we get.  πŸ™‚ Unless I HAVE to have it!

Post # 126
    1674 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2014 - Waldorf Astoria, Chicago

View original reply
    X0JLYNN03:  Aww so sweet that your pup noticed the baby πŸ™‚  Love when our little fur babies are in tune with whats going on around them! 

Post # 127
    793 posts
    Busy bee

View original reply
    FreckledFox:  I have the same outlook. It’s funny because the gifts have already started rolling in and they’re all clothes! I told DH we will just see what we actually end up needing after the shower. My good friend told me I’m being way too practical, haha. I don’t think that’s a bad thing at all!

Post # 128
    2658 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

View original reply
    FreckledFox:  I really want to find out with DH so we can have that shared moment or else I’d totally let him know and me at the reveal. It’s okay, the reveal party will still be fun sharing with our family and friends.

We had our 16 wk. apt. last Friday and it went well. Anatomy scan scheduled for May 1st and blood tests next Monday. HB was 144 and I used my doppler this weekend to let our parents and sisters hear baby in person. It was super cool sharing that with them! Both of our moms got baby an easter basket, haha. Mine gave us a stuffed plush rabbit with a rattle inside and some baby teething toys. Mother-In-Law gave us a plastic easter egg with some baby-spending money inside. It’s fun how excited they both are for their first grand baby!

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! πŸ˜€

Post # 129
    9541 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2013

Helloooooo everybody!

It sounds like you all had nice Easters. I’m jealous we didn’t really do Easter this year. My husband had to work on Saturday and he accidentally bought theater tickets for Saturday night, so we coudn’t really go visit friends/family like we usually do for Easter. Boo! We usually go to church back in my home town and I missed the service this year.  But we did have a great time at the theater (we saw Lion King) and we went to a really nice dinner beforehand. I got a gift card to this place for Christmas, and it was a good thing, because damn it was expensive! But it was really, really good food. And I let myself have a glass of wine (well, half a glass) with dinner and it was so yummy!

So we stayed home on Easter and did stuff around the house. I got a ton of stuff put away and assembled the swing that a co-worker gave me. It took me forever to figure out how to get to the battery pack for the vibration, and then we didn’t have any D batteries, but I’m going to pick some up on the way home. I had to move some furniture to make some space for it, but it worked out. I can already tell baby stuff is going to take over our house!

We’ve been talking a lot about FMLA. I’m going to take my twelve weeks right after baby is born (hopefully be able to work right up until I deliver). We’d been hoping that my husband could split his and do some right after birth and some after my FMLA. But his company is making him take it all at once. So we’re going to take all his vacation days right after the birth. It looks like that should be somewhere between 1-2 weeks. Then he’ll take the full 12 weeks at the end of my FMLA. Right now we’re just trying to figure out how much time we’re going to overlap. I think, at least a week, maybe two. It’ll be nice to just be able to hang out as a family. And we’re thinking about using the time to visit some friends/family. I would love to see if we could do a short trip down to Florida to stay with my grandmother. I know she’d love to have us and the baby visit and it would be great to get away for a bit in early December. But we still need to think about it. We can fly direct in just a few hours, but it’s still dealing with an airport and lots of people. So we’ll see.

What is everybody else planning for maternity/paternity leave?

Post # 130
    497 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2010

Hello just a little update from me.  Was expecting to get my full lab results including sex on Friday but their office was closed so I was pretty bummed.  Took a couple days off work and we had great weather so went on day trips to the beach, different parks and a ruined castle.  Easter was pretty low key, spent the evening with dh’s parents… told them we might find out the gender soon and they were totally not bothered.  They actually told us they would probably be on holiday when it is born which was a little disappointing to hear but maybe a blessing in disguise as I am quite private so it would be nice to not have any immediate visitors.

Called the midwife office this morning and my results are not in yet but they might have them later today….  so I keep glancing at my phone every 10 seconds.  I can’t wait to find out!

Post # 131
    2532 posts
    Sugar bee

View original reply
    jenspadiva:  I know what you mean about having visitors after the birth so if you have one lot less to think about it makes it easier for you. Of course this could mean that they will appear straight after they return.

I am hopefully having a homebirth so I wont have that time in hospital for visitors (that have limited visiting time!). My current feeling is that I would like some time to ourselves after the baby is born but as for how much I won’t know until afterwards. I imagine the shortest time would be: give birth one evening/night and then have parent visitors possibly the following afternoon/early evening. The rest of the people can wait a few more days.

Post # 132
    Hostess
    8146 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2012

View original reply
    jenspadiva:  How frustrating to be waiting for such important results!! And wow, that would bother me if my parents or in-laws wouldnt be around for the birth BUT like you said, thats the silver lining.  πŸ™‚ Ideally I’d like at least an hour alone to attempt to nurse and get more aquainted with my little one before everyone comes in and grabs them! But I know I will want visitors after the first day to break up the hospital stay.

Post # 133
    793 posts
    Busy bee

View original reply
    X0JLYNN03:  It’s so cute that your dog responded like that. I’ve felt little movements here and there but they aren’t very regular at this point and I really have to be sitting still or lying down to feel them.

View original reply
    JenGirl:  It sounds like you had a wonderful Easter! I love The Lion King, haha. I’m sorry you missed service though, I know that was a probably a bummer for you. DH will take a few days off after she’s born and then go back. Luckily with his job he can come and go as he pleases so he can leave early or go in late during those weeks after she’s born. He says he’ll come have lunch with his girls daily so that will be nice. My mom will be in town for two weeks to help out as well. I will be taking 8 short weeks off from work. That’s all the time I will have saved up by September and my company does not do paid maternity leave. I’m pretty upset over the short amount of time I will have with her but I’m thankful that I’m at least able to get that much time off and paid as well. It’s going to be hard enough on my coworkers for me to take that amount of time so it’s best to get back asap.

View original reply
    jenspadiva:  That wait is the worst! Will they be telling your over the phone? Hopefully they’ll be calling very soon! I’m a little scared at the amount of people we will have visiting around the birth. All of our family is out of town and have already let me know that they will all be traveling down for certain lengths of time. We both have very large families and I just hope we don’t end up overwhelmed by people coming in and out of the house those first few days. My family knows how I am and they read me pretty well so I think they will get the hint and give us space if it’s needed. I’m not so much concerned with people coming to the hospital because I think that will be so fun and great to celebrate her arrival with them but after we go home is what makes me nervous.

Post # 134
    767 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

We had Easter lunch next door at my MIL’s house then we did an egg hunt for DS in our yard.  it was cool and rainy/misty so luckily he’s young and doesn’t want to hunt long anyway haha. 

I’ll be taking 12 weeks off after work again.  I took off 1 week before my date to be induced bc I was convinced DS was going to come early, and so I had time to rest and get things ready. He didn’t come early but it was nice to have some time to myself to nap and get stuff ready for the house after we came home.

You can always ask the nurses to keep people out after you deliver! We had almost an hour alone with DS after he was born, I only had my mom and DH in the room so they saw him of course.  But I had my skin to skin time and he nursed and then he was under the warming light anyway so no one got to hold him until the next day (he was born just after midnight and family didn’t get to come in the room until like 1-2 am so they just wanted to see him and go home to sleep anyway haha.  But the nurses are pretty good at policing for you, I think most of them have code words to use if you want them to kick people out etc.  I think mine was cinnamon lol

Post # 135
    9541 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper

View original reply
    MrsFairyBee:  That’s so cute that they got Easter baskets for baby! I hope there was candy that mommy likes!

View original reply
    jenspadiva:  Ahhhhhh!!! The beach sounds so amazing right now. Weather has been teasing us here. It’ll be beautiful while I’m stuck at work all day then cold on the weekend. And sorry you’ve had to wait, but I’m sure all your results will be great! It kind of sucks that the in-laws won’t be there for birth, but it will definitely make things simpler. You and hubby get time with baby. Your parents get time with baby and then in-laws will get time with baby when they’re back from their trip. Spreads out the “new baby joy” a little bit. 

View original reply
    jenm2be:  Yeah, Lion King was great. I saw it years ago, but it was my husband’s first time. It was particularly cool because we did out honeymoon to Kenya last year and got to see most of the animals that are characters, so it had a fun memory association, as well as being a great performance. 

That’s awesome that your husband has such a flexible schedule. I think getting to come home for lunch will be a huge benefit for both of you! He gets a little dose and baby cuteness to tide him through the afternoon and hopefully you get a little bit of a break in the middle of the day! We’re talking about my husband bringing baby to my work for lunch so that I can breastfeed while he’s on FMLA. And, yeah, maternity leaves in the US pretty much suck! At least you get 8 weeks paid leave! I think it’s hard going back to work, whenever that happens. Is your mom coming to help right after birth or once you head back to work? Either way, that’s awesome that she’ll be around to help. My mother died 6 years ago and I know I’m going to miss having her around when baby gets here. I’m not sure if anyone else will offer to come and if I really want them to come. I lvoe my in-laws to death but, I think they’d drive me crazy as his mother is the type that never sits and always has to be up doing something. And one of my grandmothers would definitely drive me crazy, so that’s a no go. We’ll see. I’m sure we can survive on our own, but there are options out there if we feel like we’re drowning!

Post # 136
    9541 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper

View original reply
    mama2.0:  I’ve thought about taking off some time before delivery. It’s really a toss up because there are pros and cons of time off right before delivery or getting extra time at the end. I’m convinced that I’m going to go over my due date because it’s my first and I was late and my husband was relatively late for twins. So I’ll probably just see how I’m feeling when we get closer to delivery. If I get totally miserable at the end, I may just start leave early. But, since I think I’m going to go over,  I’ll probably come two weeks early and we’ll be surprised!

Post # 137
    1674 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2014 - Waldorf Astoria, Chicago

View original reply
    MrsFairyBee:  I think it’s sweet that you and DH can share the moment of finding out together.  I go back and forth about finding out just with him, and doing it at the reveal, but I really want to be surprised with everyone else.  If we have a 2nd we can do it privately πŸ™‚  Are you planning to find out during the Ultrasound or have you thought of another plan for finding out together?

View original reply
    JenGirl:  I’m planning on taking 8-12 weeks off after baby.  8 weeks will be paid 100%, but the last 4 weeks would be w/out pay, and the 8 weeks would include taking 3 weeks of my sick/PTO time leaving me with no time off or sick days in December, which could be a problem if baby gets sick.  If I can get baby into daycare around the 8 week mark I’ll probably go back then, but if not I’ll take the full 12 weeks.  DH gets a week of paid time off for paternity leave so he will take that the first week, and will possibly try to work from home or use a week of PTO for the second week after baby.  Then I’ll be on my own until going back to work.  We might have him take Fridays off while I’m out on leave so we can have long weekends together, but we need to discuss and figure it out still πŸ™‚ 

View original reply
    jenspadiva:  Oh man!  I can’t imagine waiting for the results when you thought you would have received them Friday!  Are you planning a cute reveal for DH?  Keep us posted once you find out πŸ™‚

View original reply
    mama2.0:  Love the code word for kicking people out, what a great idea!  I’m indifferent about how I feel towards vistors in the hospital.  I always imagined my family would be in the waiting room and would see the baby after birth (like an hour or so after), but now my family is in AZ and his is local so I feel weird about my Mom and Dad possibly not being there and letting his family see the baby right away, it seems selfish of me, but I really want my family there too…or no-one, lol!  I will absolutely want some time alone first with the baby and DH and time to make myself look decent, maybe even shower ect. before letting visitors in.  I would prefer people to just come the day after, but I don’t think that will happen! 

The topic ‘September 2015 Mamas-To-Be Part 6’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors