September 2020 – Keep, Downsize, or Postpone? POLL

posted 3 weeks ago in Ceremony
  • poll: What would you do?

    Keep Sept 2020 vows but family only and redo all ceremony/reception in 2021

    Keep Sept 2020 vows but family only and then have the big cultural ceremony/reception in 2021

    Wait on weddings all together this year and have it all in 2021

    Keep September 2020 - we are aware of the risk and will most likely not be going thru route

  • Post # 16
    393 posts
    Helper bee

    View original reply
    @Bhagya Ari:  I’m sorry you’re going through this. It sucks. It really depends on when you want to be legally married and if you want to wait that long, because there is no vaccine and even though they are trying to fast track it who knows when it will actually be finished and acceptable to get, so even in 2021 COVID still be a problem. I am also getting married September and unless the governor in my state starts shutting things down again, it’s happening. But I have lowered my guest list substantially and it now consists of immediate friends and family and I have a maximum of 30 people including the bride and groom (technically 15 people but everyone has spouses) coming and we are going to do a large reception (no ceremony) where all of our families can come together and celebrate next summer. I will most likely show the highlight video of our ceremony as a side decorative piece on a TV or protector somewhere of to the side so people can see the day of if they really wish to see what happened the day of.  Hopefully by then COVID is not a problem because if it is, the reception next summer won’t happen either but at that point it wouldn’t matter because I would already be married to my best friend and the love of my life and the party doesn’t really matter in the end if you think about it like that. It just depends on what your priorities are and it sounds like you don’t want to wait. So don’t. Go for it. 

    Edit to also include that safety precautions will be taken at my wedding as well. I have disposable temperature checks at the door, if people would like to wear masks they can, hand sanitizer will be placed around, there are less people sat to a single table, we have wait staff and not buffet, all wait staff and venue employees will be wearing masks. Either way I’m still expecting it to be a great time and don’t think that I would really be losing out in much. We will have dancing and people know that if they think they have been exposed that they will stay home. 

    Post # 17
    1305 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2019

    We had 2 friends getting married this year, August and October. The August couple is still getting married in August and will have their big celebration in 2021. This couple is alittle older and they probably don’t want to delay having children which is why they are moving forward with their vows. As a guest I totally understand, I’d be really shocked if other’s don’t given the circumstances but people are weird and it is what it is. Those feelings are on them, not you, easier said than done I know but you’ll have to make peace with it. 

    Our other friends who were getting married in October are alittle younger so they just post poned the whole wedding til 2021. 

    Depending on your desire to start a family or not and your age, these factors might be helpful in making your choice. I can’t imagine how tough it must be. Planning a wedding is a rollercoaster to begin with, I couldn’t imagine what it would be like now. I really like the idea of a small christian cermoney this year and a big cultural ceremony/reception in 2021. It sounds more fun and less stress to have both in one day/weekend. 

    Either way, do what is best for you and your fiance! Best of luck bee!

    Post # 18
    4152 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: November 2016

    I’m so sorry for you and all the brides who are going through this right now.  If you’re fine with waiting until next year, I think that is the best option based on what you want.  Since your Fiance mentioned eloping before COVID, I’d be concerned that the 2021 celebration may not happen if you get legally married this year and you seem to really want to have a bigger wedding (nothing wrong with that – it was important to me to be surrounded by our large family and friend group as well!).  It seems like he might think there was no point in having a later reception if you’re already married.  I would not personally feel comfortable attending a wedding this fall, especially with numbers going up, so the last option is the only one I think is a bad idea.  In these circumstances, I would understand the couple eloping and having a delayed celebration and would be happy to attend if my schedule permitted. 

    Post # 22
    384 posts
    Helper bee

    I agree intimate ceremony. Reception after all restrictions lifted

    Post # 24
    2162 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2020

    View original reply
    @Bhagya Ari:  Sounds like you made a wise choice. Sorry you’ve had to make such a difficult decision :/

    Leave a comment

    Find Amazing Vendors