(Closed) Serious allergy

posted 5 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
Member
934 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

@wife05:  Is it possible that there is plating on the earrings and now it has worn off, and now you are reacting to the metal underneath? Oh you said they are maintained…hmmm. Maybe you have developed an allergy to the metal? 

 

Post # 4
Member
3553 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

Im going to second that either A the plating wore off, or B you have a new metal allergy. If they are such quality earings, would it be possible for you to have them reset into palladium of platinum both of which are hypoallergenic?

Post # 5
Member
3063 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

If I were you I would just get the stones reset into palladium. I prefer palladium over platinum because the metal is lighter.

Post # 7
Member
1736 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Does it happen with any other quality pairs of earrings? If not, then I think others are correct and the plating has worn off. Re-setting or re-plating would be your best options.

Post # 9
Member
5238 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 2010

I am assuming these are white gold? A lot of white gold is allowed with nickel, and some people find themselves allergic to nickel.

You can develop a nickel allergy overtime, and ears are particularly sensitive (some people even have allergic reactions to earrings, but are fine with rings or jean buttons, etc). That, or the plating has worn off enough to trigger the reaction. Often you can just become more sensitive with wear.

Your options are either to really keep up with replating them, or to reset them in palladium, yellow or rose gold, a white gold alloyed with palladium instead of nickel, or platinum.

Sorry, I know this kind of sucks! I developed a nickel allergy after wearing my first and second wedding rings. The daily wear seemed to just slowly trigger/enhance an allergy that had never bothered me before.

 

Post # 11
Member
5238 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 2010

@wife05:  Okay, that is peculiar then as allergies to yellow gold are pretty rare. Maybe they alloyed with a copper or something and that is causing you to react?

I wonder if maybe you got an infection of some sort from your earrings (bacteria or something) and even though you clean your earrings it keeps getting aggravated?

Post # 12
Member
246 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Most yellow gold is an alloy of gold, silver, and copper. Maybe you’re allergic to the copper? I know a number of musicians who play brass instruments that gradually became allergic to the copper in their instruments. From their experiences, the allergy can come on very slowly or suddenly. Some areas of the body are more sensitive- most mouthpieces for brass instruments are silver-plated solid brass, and we’ve always been encouraged to check the plating to avoid lip contact with the brass in case it could trigger an allergy. Like pp said, ears are super sensitive.

If you decide to change the setting, be careful of other colors of gold. Many people are allergic to nickel as well (a common alloy in white gold) and if it’s the copper that’s bothering you, just about every other ‘color’ gold (particularly rose gold) has a high copper content.

If you really love the yellow gold look, have you thought of plated gold? It’s usually associated with cheaper jewelery, but you could have some hypoallergenic metal plated with 24k gold (no pesky alloys). Since you wear the earrings a lot you would probably have to have them replated occasionally. Maybe you could keep the original prongs/ any part that doesn’t contact your skin.

FYI- this is all speculation on my part! I’m certainly no expert in either jewelery or allergies. Before you go making changes to the earrings, I’d probably see a doctor and make sure that it’s even a metal allergy. Perhaps it’s something else entirely (infection?).

Best of luck! I hope you can get back to wearing your beauties.

 

Post # 14
Member
1505 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

As people age, it is possible to develop new allergies, including food allergies and allergies to metal, unfortunately 🙁

Post # 15
Member
6360 posts
Bee Keeper

I think the alloy the the yellow gold is mixed with includes a metal that you are now allergic to. Gold is not a common allergen, it is probably one of the other metals. I suggest asking the place where you purchased it what the alloy is made out of, and a skin test with small pieces of each pure metal (any jeweler that does custom work will have a stock of metals). One will cause your skin to get inflamed under it. Re-cast your earrings in a gold alloy that does not include that metal.

Post # 16
Member
3553 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

A word of caution, never do a skin test like joya aspera suggested without Doctor’s supervision. I suddenly developed severe allergies to fragrances and had to do patch testing via my allergist. The nickle patch swelled up into a massive hive that ended up bleeding and not healing for over a month despite the doctor keeping close tabs on it during the test and  using the highest strength allergy creams on it. Patch tests have super low concentrations of allergens on them and you can still have anaphalaxis from them. I do not recommend just putting a pure potential allergen on your skin. If you really want to know, it is possible to get custom patch tests made.

The topic ‘Serious allergy’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors