(Closed) Serving desserts & No wedding cake

posted 8 years ago in Food
  • poll: Skip The big wedding cake
    Yes! The desserts sound AMAZING : (38 votes)
    86 %
    No, you need to have a big cake and desserts later : (5 votes)
    11 %
    Other : (1 votes)
    2 %
  • Post # 3
    14186 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2009

screw wedding cake. i heart tiramisu and lemon anything!

Post # 4
    2775 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2010

Sounds yummy!  I don’t think anybody will miss the traditional wedding cake.

Post # 5
    1254 posts
    Bumble bee

I am skipping wedding cake and doing a dessert buffet instead too! All your flavors sound yummy 🙂

Post # 6
    1820 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

We are doing this!  Just having a mini dessert buffet that will be self-serve after dinner (and out all night for whenever people want it) instead of a cake.  I just don’t like wedding cake… they have to make them so far in advance to be able to decorate and transport, that I always think wedding cake tastes dry and stale.  I would much rather serve my guests something that I am excited about!  We are having lemon bars, mini ollaliberry tarts, mint brownies, and vanilla poundcake cupcakes with fresh strawberry meringue frosting.  Yum!

Post # 7
    290 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

We almost did this!!! I’m still kind of sad we’re not.

Post # 8
    1641 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2011

I recently met a former wedding planner. She told me that in her years working with weddings, she saw many, many cakes go right in the trash. She said that cakes are usually a HUGE waste of money. I am not doing a cake (had decided not to long before I met the wedding planner) and now I am very anti-cake. I think you should have one if you really want to, but I’d much rather go in a different direction!

Post # 9
    1820 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

@menobride – I went to a wedding a couple of years ago where the couple paid $3k for a really elaborate cake from a NY celebrity designer.  It was a really, really fun wedding, and people were having so much fun dancing and catching up that the bride and groom completely forgot to cut the cake.  $3k down the drain (in the trash?).

Post # 10
    10851 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper

@septcabride: Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!! That’s ridiculous!!!!!!!

@mishelleez: Ummm yes for the desserts. That’s awesome! We’re doing cupcakes with a mini-cake and we’re not even doing a formal cake cutting type thing. We’re also having a late night dessert buffet, so it’s not just cupcakes, and we’re having dessert served with our dinner. Can you tell who has a sweet tooth?!

Post # 11
    4001 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: June 2010

I love the idea!  I’m not picky about what form my sweets come in, I love them all.  So not having a wedding cake wouldn’t be a problem for me.  I think you should just go with what you like.

Post # 13
    877 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

Our dinner comes with a dessert buffet complete with cakes, pies, custards, cheesecake, fresh fruit, and a cheese platter.  I think there will be way too many desserts than anyone can handle, but we would like to cut a small wedding cake and serve it.  My Future Sister-In-Law really wanted to make a cake for us and I’m not stopping her.  If we have leftovers, I would be happy to eat the cake over the next year if I had to, lol! I think it wouldn’t be a problem if you had a small cake or a single tier to cut and just serve the dessert buffet to your guests.

Post # 14
    866 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2011

We’re having a small novelty cake (Fenway Park!) for us to cut, and large dessert table instead of cake. Anyone can have a piece of our cake if they want it, but we’re really excited for the variety we’ll get with the dessert table.

Your desserts sound wonderful!

Post # 15
    1523 posts
    Bumble bee

I think it’s fine. I was in a friend’s wedding this past weekend and she served different types of brownies from a local company. They were amazing and a fun personal touch!

Post # 16
    Bee
    2362 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2010 - New York Botanical Garden

We didn’t have a cake, just delicious dessert, and to my knowledge, no one missed it – go with what you love!

The topic ‘Serving desserts & No wedding cake’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors