- 8 years ago
- Wedding: June 2010
I need some cooking ideas for the weekend and would love to hear everyones favorite healthy dinner meals!! please share!
Here is one of mine!
Southwestern Beef & Bean Burger Wraps
Kids and adults alike will love these quick, zippy burgers. The beans make the burgers a little fragile, so be careful when taking them off the broiler pan. Make it a meal: Toss a green salad with Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette and serve frozen mango slices for dessert.
Ease of Prep:
12 ounces 93%-lean ground beef
1 cup refried beans
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapenos
1 avocado peeled and pitted
1/2 cup prepared salsa
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
4 whole-wheat tortillas warmed (see Tip)
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
1/2 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
1 lime cut into 4 wedges
- Position oven rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray.
- Gently combine ground beef, beans, cilantro and jalapenos in a medium bowl (do not overmix). Shape into four 5-by-2-inch oblong patties and place on the prepared pan.
- Broil the patties until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center reads 165°F, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash together avocado, salsa and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Place tortillas on a clean work surface. Spread each with the guacamole, then sprinkle with lettuce and cheese. Top each with a burger and roll into a wrap. Serve immediately, with lime wedges.
Tip: To warm tortillas: Wrap in foil; bake at 300°F until steaming, about 5 minutes. Or wrap in barely damp paper towels and microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds.
Health Advantages: high fiber, high potassium, high calcium, diabetes appropriate.
***We substituted Beef with Turkey!!! It was very filling after just one and healthier than a regular burger!