(Closed) She peed in the house & is acting odd… waiting for the vet…

posted 7 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
185 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Sending good thoughts your way! This happened to my dog a couple years ago. He was acting weird and peeing in the house when he never did before – so we took him to the vet and vet said he had a UTI and gave him antibiotics. So he seemed to get better. However a year later – he started acting the same way. So we took him to the vet again (this was a different vet because we moved), and it turns out he had a bladder stone stuck in his urethra! Our options were surgery to remove the stone  or the vet could try to push the stone back into his bladder – which is what we went with because we couldn’t afford surgery. Luckily she was able to push the stone back into his bladder and we had to change his diet to help break down the stones and to prevent new ones from forming. It’s been about a year and he hasn’t had any issues since – so I think the new food is helping. He’s a jack russle.

I hope your dog gets better soon. And I hope I didn’t scare you… I’m sure she’ll be fine. I think if her breed is prone to kidney stones, you may want to look into feeding her special food for it – I think its called Urinary SO. Good luck!

Post # 4
3601 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: January 1992

UTI can cause mental status changes in people, so it isn’t a far stretch to say they can/will in dogs.

Post # 7
2522 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

Glad that it could be remedied!  Here’s to hoping Hayley gets better soon!

Post # 9
185 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

@canthugallcats: Glad that it wasn’t too serious to do surgery – hope she feels better soon! I know what you mean when you say you know how long she’s been hurting for – it was the same thing with our dog and we felt so bad for him.

The food we buy now is Royal Canin Medi-Cal Urinary SO. We have to buy it from the vet. I don’t think you can get it at a pet store. It’s pricey but it’s worth the peace of mind knowing the risk of reoccuring stones is limited, not to mention less visits to the vet.

The topic ‘She peed in the house & is acting odd… waiting for the vet…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors