(Closed) Short term disability

posted 6 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 3
1144 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

@bells:  What I would do is call the STD department and talk to them and find out what the guidelines are.Typically you have to fund the first 5 days of your leave and then disability kicks in. Most companies pay 100% during your leave but some will only pay a smaller portion based on their policy and sometimes years of service. You would notify STD once your leave starts and they will ask you questions like doctor’s name etc, and contact the provider directly to get all the paperwork locked down.

First step, call them and find out their process. It differs from company to company.

Post # 4
3773 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 1999

Definately call and they will send you a packet. My company you cover the first 3 days with vacation time and then disability kicks in and you can chose (when you sign up) to get 60 or 70% of your income. Taxes aren’t taken out and at least where I work you still accrue vacation time while you are on leave. Then when your 6 weeks is up you can use the rest of your vacation or medical leave if you have it.

I would get the information as soon as you can, that way you aren’t worried about it at the last minute.

Post # 5
554 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

@bells:  I contacted our HR department to ask about the policy and they sent me the forms./ For me, I have to be out of work for 7 days before I can apply but then it will go for 6 weeks at 60% of my pay. I wanted to have everything in hand so I don’t need to worry about finding it when the time comes. 

The topic ‘Short term disability’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors