(Closed) Should a tungsten ring be $10 or $150?!?!

posted 7 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
1090 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Tungsten is tungsten. I think that one is pretty thin, hence the 10$- but I wouldn’t pay more than 50$ unless it is really unique and you love. We spent 25$ on a free one and then 45$ on one through Overstock! ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 4
3866 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

@chittychittybanebane: $140????   Uh…. we didn’t spend over $50 for BOTH our wedding rings on ebay.  Admittedly, our black tungsten elvish love rings (found on ebay) were about $100 for both, but soooo worth.

It’s black tungsten with the following poem written in elvish script: 

One ring to show our love
One ring to bind us
One ring to seal our love
And forever to entwine us

My black ring has a small knick where the black is off, but it hasn’t faded AT ALL.  Unlike the black script that was on my now-gone (seriously, I lost it ๐Ÿ™ …) sterling silver ring.

Post # 5
1446 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

My Fiance got his for $25…I think it was originally $150 but we caught it on sale at a jewelry store in the mall.

Post # 6
4109 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

Yeah, it’s because it’s so small & it’s an inexpensive metal to begin with. We spent $40 on FI’s & I wouldn’t go above $80. (The one he tried on at Helzberg’s was identical to the one we bought & it was $299!)

So yes- I definitely think the chain stores rip you off on this. That’s why we went with Amazon too.

Post # 8
1090 posts
Bumble bee

@Zinzerena: I didn’t spend 140$. We spent 45$ on overstock & then we bought a 25$ on a back-up one to wear on the Honeymoon.

Post # 11
437 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I think $140 is a bit much. You can get a pretty nice one on JVLJewelry.com for free (with $25 shipping). Just use the code “brides”.

Tungsten is not quite as valuable as other metals but it’s very strong. Stronger than platinum is what I hear. If you were to hit it with force, it would shatter instead of bend. The catch is that it can’t be resized easily… if at all.

Post # 12
4109 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

@red_rose: “And I guess it makes sense to me that people would go to a jewelrs and feel like they just *have* to spend a lot of money to “feel” like they are getting a nice ring.”

Exactly. You see all the posts here about girls feeling bad about only spending X amount on thier FI’s tungsten or titanium ring when so much more was spent on thiers, etc. I think the chain stores are hoping that by jacking up the price, customers will question the quality of the tungsten when they look elsewhere, hence your post.

Post # 13
3866 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

@Stellar Magnitude: it’s also used in armor-piercing ammo.  how cool is that? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Post # 14
4583 posts
Honey bee

Basically, yes, Zales is ripping people off. I’ve found that when it comes to tungsten, you can usually get the exact same thing – or very similar – online for a lot less.

Post # 14
5921 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

Darling Husband has two.  One he bought for $179 from http://www.tungstenworld.com, and one I got for free with a coupon code, just $25 shipping.

Post # 15
11394 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

Tungsten is tungsten. The reason I would think its only 10 dollars is because its so thin. My husbands is 8mm thick & it was 56 dollars.

The topic ‘Should a tungsten ring be $10 or $150?!?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors