- 5 years ago
- Wedding: July 2014
Ladies, I have a dilemma.
In a nutshell, my Fiance and I are having a destination wedding in Asia (largely in order to meet family in the middle, since our guests are coming from all over the world). FI’s step-mother works in the beauty business and has kindly offered to do my hair and makeup on the day, but I’m hesitant to accept for a couple of reasons:
1) Fiance is not close to his step-mother (she is much younger than Future Father-In-Law and they only married a few years ago).
2) Step-mother has a reputation for being a bit…difficult (throwing tantrums, excluding other family members, etc). For example, she entirely refuses to talk to FI’s grandparents now and generally ignores Fiance and his brother. I suspect that the main reason that she is taking an interest in our wedding is because we have invited FI’s young half-sister to be a flower girl.
3) I’m worried it may cause some drama with FI’s mother and other family members who she has alienated over the years. She and Future Father-In-Law met long after the divorce, but still.
4) There’s always a chance that I won’t like the way she does my hair or makeup, in which case I’m not sure how comfortable I’ll be asking her to redo it.
On the other hand:
1) It might be hard to find someone over there used to working with caucasian skin tones. We are also flying in and out within a few days so I’m not sure I’ll have time for a trial. FI’s step-mother is offering me a trial before we go.
2) I don’t really want to cause drama and ruin FI’s connection with his half-sister by turning her down.
3) If it works, it would be cheap and convenient (although I’m not so worried about the money aspect).
I am seeing her tomorrow, so I will have to let her know then. Help! I could try doing the trial with her and see how it goes, but I’m not sure if that might cause even more problems if I get her to do the trial and then use someone else… Any advice would be very much appreciated!