So here I sit, a little annoyed, though I’m not sure if I should be. My day of coordinator who I hired quite awhile ago has been somewhat flakey, I think. So the very first time I talked to her she was great,, super excited, it seemed like we’d get along great. I knew that I would be handling the great majority of the planning (just how I wanted it) her detailed list of services is:
- Consultation four weeks before wedding to review wedding plans.
- Walk-through of ceremony & reception sites
- Review vendor contracts and handle details
- Final vendor confirmations.
- Distribute final vendor payments and gratuities.
- Rehearsal direction – (1.5 hours)
- Create custom itinerary & time lines for your wedding day and other activities.
- Day of Schedule distributed to Bride, Groom, all vendors, etc.
- Keep entire event as close to time line as possible.
- Coordinate, Manage, and Trouble-shoot on your wedding day to create the Fabulous Wedding of your Dreams.
- Oversee ceremony & reception set-up.
- DIY decor needs (set up etc)
- Choreograph ceremony – cue music, instruct wedding party.
- Ensure easy flow from ceremony to reception.
- Coordinate Wedding Reception
So here’s what’s been putting up red flags and I want to know if I’m going crazy and being bratty or if this is something to be concerned about…
The first time I asked her for a recommendation for a vendor, it took her a week to get back to me, after I had to remind her that I asked. Not the biggest deal, it was the summer I figured she had a lot of weddings to work on. I only asked her for that one rec and got a couple of good ideas from my photographer from then on.
We then tried to schedule a time to meet in person at the reception venue, it was difficult for me to get a time when the venue would be set up where we could go in and look at it, but i was able to make it happen. The night before we’re supposed to meet I get a call telling me that her husband is coming into town unexpectedly (he’s in the military and on a air craft carrier) and she doesn’t know when she has to pick him up so she had to cancel. Ugh.. luckily my Fiance was happy to go with me so we could check it out take video and be reassured that we made a good decision. I guess I kind of get the military thing, I’ve worked with air craft carrier folks in the past and they are pretty secretive about their comings and goings, but still I wasn’t happy to be canceled on.
I rescheduled to meet with her at the ceremony location, in the middle of the day, she had picked the time. She was a half hour late….. she said she checked traffic on the highways but it was construction on a local road that held her up… I was not happy, but tried not to act annoyed and we had our meeting which went okay. She didn’t have too much to say, we talked about my plan of the day, she said she’d get me a rough draft of how she thinks should plan out (I do need some expert advice on that, my draft is not very detailed at this point, that’s why I hired her)
So she told me that she’d have the draft to me in “a week or so” it’s now been two weeks…
What would you do bees? Am I over reacting? Is this normal? Is there anything I can say to her that will help her understand my concerns? Or am I being a big brat and leaving too much up to a DOC?
Thank you for making it this far if you read this far, I will truly appreciate any insight.