Post # 1
I’m so upset.
My fiance was just fired from his job for a ridiculous reason and now my mom is nagging me to cancel the honeymoon, saying I’m an idiot for not doing it already.
Her reasoning is that now that my fiance is unemployed, he will be looking for a new job and can’t expect to be given time off for the wedding in October/November.
I’ve put down a $500 deposit and final payment is due in 5 days. I also have 5 days (90 days before the trip) to cancel and get my deposit back.
I’m heartbroken over this because I was so excited to go. I feel that if we don’t go now, we never will. We would have to wait until he’s been employed a year and given vacation, and even then we probably wouldn’t be able to go on a carribean cruise because of Zika and TTC. And I feel like non Zika locations are way too expensive.
So bees, what would you do in my situation? Go ahead with our plans and hope his next employer gives him the time off or just not have a honeymoon?
Post # 2
emsie : Need a lot more info-
Why was he fired? Is he highly employable/ advanced in his career? My husband is at a point where we have regulary scheduled vacations and employers are happy to give him the time, but we’re older (early 40s)
Do you have enough savings to cover the trip and his unemployment?
If yes to the employable and savings I’d go, otherwise no.
Post # 3
Unless you’re very well established with a robust savings account is cancel. You have zero risk and will get all of your money back. Plan a later cruise and enjoy the extra cash *just in case*
Post # 4
- Wedding: September 2017 - Poppy Ridge Golf Course
In my personal experience employers have never had an issue granting time off for plans made prior to my start date. As long as you’re both ok with his time off being unpaid I would go on the trip as planned. But only you two know whats best for your situation and I couldn’t say for certain that his next employer would have no problem approving the time. However, if you’re not financially comfortable, the bank accounts are getting low and the trip combined with his lack of income may cause financial strain then thats a different story.
Post # 5
Wow, this is a hard one, and I’m sorry for such a dilemma when you should be enjoying the first period of your newlywed life.
Unfortuantely I think your mom has a point. It sounds like a trip that will take several days, not just an over-the-weekend trip. I think it will ultimately depend on the employer but he probably should mention it at the beginning when he’s interviewed. Otherwise, they might be pissed later, and who knows if he would have to find another job yet again.
My friend had a 2-week long trip overseas trip planned and then was laid off so had to look for a new job. She was upfront at the interview and asked them if she could get 2 weeks off since the trip was already paid for. They didn’t seem that happy but they hired her anyway and actually let her take the 2 weeks off before she reached the one-year mark.
The 5-day deadline for the full payment must be putting a lot of pressure on you! Before you make the decision, ask your husband what he’s comfortable with, since it will be his job search.
Good luck to you and I hope it works out!
Post # 6
Can you afford to lose the payment for the cruise if he gets a job and can’t go? Will you be able to enjoy the cruise if he’s still unemployed? If yes and yes, go. If no on either, cancel–you can plan a different honeymoon when you know more what your immediate future will look like.
Post # 7
The money isn’t really the issue because I’ve saved up for the cruise and the wedding already. The problem is not knowing whether or not his hypothetical job would give him time off.
He was new at this job and cut himself on a gas pump on his way to work. He thought it might have been a needle and called the police to check it out. The police wanted him checked by ems so they came to his work to treat his hand. His boss said it was fishy and fired him.
He’s not highly employable really except entry level jobs because he only has a high school diploma.
Post # 8
- Wedding: September 2017 - Poppy Ridge Golf Course
emsie : Wedding and cruise savings are irrelevant and will quickly dwindle to nothing. You need to be concerned with your long term financial health and based on the update it doesn’t sound good. I understand your moms concern. You haven’t mentioned any type of regular savings or emergency cash, your Fiance was fired from his last job so that reference is likely shot and he’s not highly employable so who knows when he’ll find another job. Cancel, cancel, cancel!
Post # 9
Did you Fiance discuss with his boss that he thought it was a needle and that he believes the police should be called?
Also, I think unless you have enough savings or make enough money to support the both of you up until the honeymoon and after until your then husband finds work, then you should probably cancel.
I’m sorry this is happening to you. It’s not a great situation for what is supposed to be a happy time period. Hopefully things work out for you.
Post # 11
chaiteababy : yes he told his boss I told him to call the police and his boss’ response was “well if she told you to jump off a bridge would you do that too?”
Okay so full disclosure even though I’m super embarrassed about it.
Our lease on our rental house was up this month, and due to his job issues we decided to move in with my mom to save for a down payment for a year. We moved in this week.
My fiances mom is also paying for his half of the wedding/honeymoon.
So thankfully him being fired won’t have a huge impact on us financially although it still sucks because I planned on putting all of our income into savings for a house.
Post # 12
emsie : cancel this trip. You won’t be able to relax the whole time worrying about his unemployment and such. Let him find a new job, settle down & plan a new honeymoon
Post # 13
Umm yea after your update you definitely need to cancel you guys aren’t financially secure at all
Post # 14
Job first, vacation second.
Post # 15
I also just read your update. Since you have moved in with your mother, she is essentially supporting you in being able to save for a down payment so I think in that regard you do owe it her to respect her recommendation of cancelling the trip. I mean she let you move in so you can save for a down payment, I imagine she would be pretty miffed if you guys were off holidaying when you were supposed to be saving.