(Closed) Should I cancel my Morocco honeymoon? Need honest opinions!

posted 6 years ago in Honeymoons
  • poll: Should I stick to Morocco for my honeymoon in 2 weeks?
    No : (42 votes)
    36 %
    Yes : (74 votes)
    64 %
  • Post # 3
    Member
    7311 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2011 - Bed & Breakfast

    Since it’s too late to get your money back, there’s no need to rush the decision. Just keep your eye on things, monitor the State Department’s travel warnings, and mentally prepare yourself for the possibility of having to cancel. You have 2 weeks still, and it’s always possible that things will settle down in that region between now and then.

    Post # 4
    Member
    2426 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: December 2009

    My personal rule of thumb that I follow is, if I start to question my decision to go to a location b/c of violence in surrounding areas/uneasy feelings, I do it.  I’ve done it before and while nothing happened during the time I should have been there, I was much happier in a different location knowing I didn’t have that worry hanging over my head.

    Post # 5
    Member
    627 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

    I think you should still go. But, I think you need to be cautious of your surroundings, be very aware of what’s going on around you, and avoid large crowds/demostrations if you were to come along to any. Make sure you know the embassay contact information for your country ( phone numbers, addresses ) 

    I’d still go, I’ve been to a couple places where they’ve had ‘political unrest’ at the time and it’s always been fine!

     

     

    Post # 8
    Member
    8041 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2013

    Those warnings are a bit over the top IMO. If I heeded the warnings I would have never gone to Mexico, and I’ve been twice in the last few years.

    You just have to use a bit of common sense. Don’t go anywhere alone (as a single female in those countries you’re automatically a target). Don’t stray too far away from the hotel after dark, etc. KNOW the ok parts of town.

    My blond, blue-eyed 5’2 friend taught in Egypt all by herself for a year and was totally fine. Personally I’d never even want to visit Egypt, but she had no problems that I know of.

    Don’t know too much about Morocco specifically, but people travel to 3rd world countries all the time. I think it would be a waste if you had to lose all your money because you’re afraid. Why would you book it in the first place? I think you’re allowing yourself to be a bit too influenced by others who don’t necessarily know the situation well enough.

    Post # 9
    Member
    1252 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2011

    @pigment80:  We had to cancel our honeymoon to Thailand last year due to the flooding and didn’t have travel insurance, but were still able to get a refund on the airfare (I think there was a $300 penalty) that we booked through Orbitz.  You may want to just look into whether you can change it without a huge loss, because while Morocco may be just fine it may not be worth the stress given what’s going in the Middle East and Northern Africa at the moment. 

    I just read an article today about the British couple that were taken hostage by Somali pirates when they were sailing 900 miles off the coast of Somalia, even though the official warning distance was 200-300 miles & 4 authorities told them their route would be safe, they weren’t…  I’m guessing they would say it is better to be safe than sorry.

    Post # 10
    Member
    1042 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: December 2013

    I think, OP correct me if I’m wrong, that the OP is worried about traveling there now because of the attacks and protests going on in nearby regions.

    Clearly, when she booked her flight, she didn’t know that would happen. I say call the embassy in Morocco and ask their opinion. If they don’t give a straight answer, which is likely, just wait it out. You still have two weeks to see how things will go. If nothing further occurs, I would totally go, Morocco is such a beautiful country. If you have reasons to feel uneasy, though, it would be better to lose the money and cancel it, than risk being unsafe.

    Post # 12
    Member
    963 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2011

    @pigment80:  I’m not as educated on the situation as I probably should be, but are there actually widescale protests going on in Morocco, especially in the area that you’ll be visiting? If not, I’d still go because there’s no real threat. If there are protests, then I’d wait it out for a while because it may die down before your honeymoon. It may also be a good idea to try to find, maybe from the US embassy, whether they have been any increase in reported threats or crimes against US citizens.

    Post # 13
    Member
    135 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: March 2013

    I’ve been watching the news about this and it seems to be a developing story at the moment– just not quite sure how far the violence will spread and even if at home in the US if we’re even safe.  Scary times, but you can’t put life on hold. 

    I am w/ the PP that mentioned trying to see if you can get a refund b/c you are legitimately concerned about your safety and at the time of purchase, this was not an issue.  However, if you plan to go, a good idea may be calling the hotel letting them know you are worried about the violence and maybe to suggest places that are safe to go (sightseeing) and make your plans accordingly.  You will not be the only people vacationing there so just do what’s best for you.   As an example, like a PP mentioned, Mexico is in the news every day, they have a huge crime rate, and people still love going there.  There is crime everywhere so just play it safe.  

    Post # 14
    Member
    873 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

    It really does seem like most of the violence is directed at US interests in those countries.  I think as long as you aren’t hanging out in front of of the embassy or any consulates and keep a low profile (which you should be doing anyway, IMO), you should be fine.  I’d definitely call the embassy and get more information from people who are actually there and know the situation.

    Oh, and you can register with them too.  That might ease your mind some – you can quickly find out if anything bad is going down.

    Post # 15
    Member
    8882 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper

    I said no, but keep an eye on the news and warnings.

    I know it’s different, but people kept warning me about my Jamaica honeymoon because of the hurricane that was passing through (and hurricane season in general).  We actually flew over the last of the hurricane the day we flew out, but it never hit Jamaica.

    The topic ‘Should I cancel my Morocco honeymoon? Need honest opinions!’ is closed to new replies.

    Find Amazing Vendors