Should I cancel/ postpone my August wedding

posted 4 months ago in Emotional
  • poll: Should I cancel/postpone my wedding?

    Yes

    No

  • Post # 2
    Member
    1607 posts
    Bumble bee

    Do you have to make the decision now? August is a ways off so I’d be inclined to sit on this for now and see how the situation evolves in the next month or two, if you can. 

    Post # 3
    Member
    83 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: February 2021

    Hey, I am August 29. At this stage I am going with the flow – if by August the world is still struggling with Corona Virus I will say getting married probably won’t be the priority. 

    I am going to re-assess by April/May.

    Post # 4
    Member
    7482 posts
    Busy Beekeeper

    I agree with PP–the situation is changing daily and a great deal more will be known a few weeks from now. I would wait to decide if you can. 

    Post # 5
    Member
    2446 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2017

    View original reply
    kbee123 :  August is a ways away. You don’t have to send out invitations yet. Wait to decide. 

    Post # 6
    Member
    384 posts
    Helper bee

    View original reply
    kbee123 :  Late August bride here. I’m refusing to cancel my wedding and my fiancé agrees. We have no idea what’s going to happen with the virus. We also have no idea what will be going on next year. We’ve decided not to put our lives on hold because of this. Hopefully things are cleared up by then.

    My fiancé and I also understand our wedding may be smaller then we initially anticipated, but that’s okay. Even if it’s just us and our immediate family, we’re still going through with it! The most important thing is we marry each other. We’re keeping the original details and have room to figure things out as we get closer. Final payments aren’t due until 1 month before the wedding, so we’ll change things around as needed.

    If you have time to wait before you have to put more money down, I would wait and see how things unfold. If you’re okay with a smaller wedding, I’d go through with it regardless. You never know what’s going to happen!

    Post # 8
    Member
    2949 posts
    Sugar bee

    It’s still a ways away. I’d wait until about June to make that call. 

    Post # 9
    Member
    7265 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2012

    I would wait. I’m a wedding photographer, and thankfully my season isn’t starting until May. I’m advising all of my couples to just hold off and wait it out a few more weeks to see what goes on. If your wedding was in two weeks I’d say postpone, but August is still quite a bit away. 

    Post # 10
    Member
    2344 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2018

    Hold off making a decision.  A lot can change

    Post # 11
    Member
    102 posts
    Blushing bee

    Virus likely to die down over the summer from higher tempatures and come back more in the fall, so August is probably your best bet among all of this honestly

    Post # 12
    Member
    1373 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2017 - California

    View original reply
    taylor523 :  From what I’ve been reading lately, we don’t know that this is likely to happen. Hot countries are also seeing the spread of the virus. Hopefully what will pan out is that we will see less transmission in hot countries and slowing transmission in the Summer but from what I’ve read anyway it’s not at all clear that will be likely.

    I agree with the other PP who suggested waiting and seeing what happens anyway since it’s a few months away and hopefully we’ll have better information in the next couple of months. 

    Post # 13
    Member
    83 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: February 2021

    I’ve just pulled the plug and post-poned, it was worse and worse everyday and I knew the longer I waited the less likely I was to get vendors. Now Feb 2021 which is only a post-ponement of 6 months.

    Post # 14
    Member
    118 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: July 2020

    My vote is “no” for now. No one can predict what August will be like. Our wedding is in July.  We are closely following CDC recommendations and our local orders in hopes of keeping the wedding this July. However, our plan b is to elope on our original date and reschedule the wedding if necessary. We will wait until June to confirm the July wedding or notify them that we will reschedule. 

    However, you may want to look at your vendors’ contracts and speak with them about there rescheduling policy given the situation. I hear most are willing to change dates and credit you for what you’ve spent to go towards the new date. 

    Post # 15
    Member
    1075 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2017

    I wouldn’t postpone yet. We have no idea what will happen. Right now the projected hospitilization rates for my state, and the surrounding states, are way higher than the actual numbers right now. And these cases all happened before we implemented social distancing.  I also saw a few things that indicate that this virus won’t be lingering around as long as predicted or cause the mass death as in Italy.  But we don’t know.  I just would wait a month or so before making any hard decisions.  

    Leave a comment


    Find Amazing Vendors