(Closed) Should I Cancel the Reception Location?

posted 9 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
7586 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

I would be mad and want to cancel too, but then my Fiance would probably calm me down and talk me out of it.  Wait to see what they say.

2 Questions: Are the extra charges more than the deposit? does it make sense to lose money because you dont want to spend money?

Post # 4
2203 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

When you gave them a deposit, did you sign a contract then? or was that a “hold the date” deposit and now you are looking to sign the contract?

Definately push back on them about those charges. You have every right to at least try to negotiate with them. The worst they will say is “no”.

When you asked them about those charges before and they said no, do you have it in writing, such as an email?

Post # 5
2702 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

what is your budget? how likely is it that you can find a reception venue with your date open?

i think a lot of different factors can weigh in on your decision. at this point, if i were in your shoes, i would wait to hear what they have to say about the additional costs that were not aforementioned and at the same time start browsing backup options that you will be able to hone in on, if need be later on.

good luck!

Post # 6
13563 posts
Honey Beekeeper

Ugh. I’m so sorry this is happening to you.

First question—how are you just receiving the contract, if you’ve already put a deposit down? Have you signed the contract with those new fees included? I guess I’m confused about that part.

Those details aside, peace of mind about your wedding reception could be worth losing the deposit you put down, depending on how much it is. However, I would not cancel your reception location until you know for sure that there’s another location available on your date, in your price range, and that will accommodate your guest list. In other words, find a Plan B before deciding whether you should cancel.

And if you really don’t want to cancel (I wouldn’t want to cancel my reception location at this point, either!), I would demand to talk to management of the current location. You’re a paying client and you don’t deserve to be taken advantage of.

Post # 7
837 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Unless you have it in writing that you asked these questions and they said that they didn’t have those fees I’m tempted to think they are going to make you pay them.

The exact same thing happened to us.  We asked about cake cutting fees and champagne fees and all that sort of stuff.  We were told in person that those things didn’t exist.  Then come to find out there is a $3/person cake cutting fee (for 200 people) and a $25/bottle corking fee for champagne because we are bring in our own of each – neither of which the venue provides so we HAVE to bring in our own.

We canceled with that venue and found a better one with four months to go.  I would wait and see what they have to say but be prepared for them to tell you that the fees are nonnegotiable.  Sorry you have to deal with it, trust me I know how much it sucks.

Post # 9
5920 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

That’s so frustrating – we went through the same thing with our first venue.  Granted, we had not paid a deposit at that point.  We were told pricing, we were exciting, then they neglected to mention the dreading food and beverage minimum of $9,000.  Ouch.

The topic ‘Should I Cancel the Reception Location?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors