- 7 years ago
- Wedding: July 2011
Bees beware. This might be a bit long.
My husband and I got married a little over a year ago–in secret–with no one but his grandparents and our two friends as witnesses. We didn’t tell our parents or any of our family members for quite some time. When we finally did, everyone wanted us to have a BIG wedding. We agreed, naturally. Well now that we have sent out our STD’s, booked a venue for the reception, ordered my dress, etc., we are realizing that we are ridiculously BROKE and will not be able to pay for this wedding…unless a miracle happens.
My husband is starting up a business and things are progressing well, but slowly. He suspects that he will be making a good income in a few months, but our wedding is in a few months too. I’m going to school and have no job. The only way we are surviving right now is because we are living with his grandparents.
By the grace of God, we have been getting help from family (my grandpa paid for my dress and my parents are paying for the caterer), but no one else has mentioned pitching in. Which is fine, I’m not expecting that and am endlessly thankful for what I do have. But there’s no way we can do it alone.
My question to all of you is: Should I go through with this wedding?
Reasons to have this wedding:
1. We get to celebrate our marriage with everyone who missed out. It will make our families very happy and bring them all together. People from all over the U.S. will be coming to visit.
3. We get the dream wedding we missed out on.
4. If we cancel we’ll just have a nice party at the reception venue, but that might not be enough incentive for our relatives to come down and join us.
5. If we cancel we will disappoint our families 🙁
6. I already ordered my dress, talked to a catering company, florist, etc. We haven’t paid for everything so it’s not too late to cancel.
Reasons to not have this wedding:
1. We don’t have money and will probably be in some kind of debt after the wedding.
2. We won’t have a home of our own AFTER the wedding, and my hubby’s grandparents expect us out of the house BEFORE then.
3. Any money we get will be to recover our expenses. Not to have a honeymoon or use for ourselves.
4. We’re already married–shouldn’t our focus be starting a life of our own? Independent from our family in every way possible? I’m tired of relying on everyone else for help!
5. The stress is killing me and distracting me from school. I’m so close to getting my degree but this wedding is almost convincing me to drop out and get a full-time job.
6. We could always renew our vows sometime in the future?
Sorry for ranting, but I REALLY need help!