(Closed) Should I cancel the wedding?

posted 7 years ago in Money
  • poll: Should I cancel the wedding?
    Yes : (18 votes)
    75 %
    No : (4 votes)
    17 %
    Other (please explain below) : (2 votes)
    8 %
  • Post # 3
    2154 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

    Since nothing’s paid for, I think you guys should wait a while. It sounds like in a year or so your SO will be making good money. I know it’s disappointing, but it sounds like you need some time to set yourselves up financially before you spend a bunch of money on your wedding. Have you talked to your parents/family about these concerns? It could also be that when they hear you’re going to have to cancel, they’ll offer you more help to make it happen. And if they don’t, they might at least understand why you have to cancel/postpone the wedding.

    Post # 4
    433 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

    I know you’ve said your family will be dissapointed but since family has paid for everything so far will they become upset or feel that you’ve waisted their money? would you be ok with them feeling that way?

    Is there any way you can just scale down the wedding celebration, instead of canceling it? You said you would still have a party in the venue, why not keep it a wedding, just simpler than originally thought?

    Post # 5
    4824 posts
    Honey bee

    I said other… Delay it.

    Post # 6
    128 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

    I don’t see anything wrong with perhaps doing a vow renewal in a few years when you are more financially stable?  Then you don’t miss out on a big “wedding” and you don’t have financial regrets immediately following.  If you are up in the air, I feel like you won’t enjoy the day as much because you will be preoccupied thinking about how far it may set you back financially, just my opinion.  Do what you feel in your heart what is right for you two 🙂

    Post # 7
    2440 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: March 2012

    Maybe you could scale back the wedding or possibly get a part time job? You said you’d have to quit school to work full time but what about part time to just help pay for some of the expenses?

    Post # 8
    7293 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2011

    When is the date you have scheduled currently ?

    My reccomendation would most likely be: Scale back. Just celebrate simply…a family barbeque/picnic /potluck with dancing and the normal trappings of a wedding.

    If you must have the wedding that you dream or have been already planning, just wait. Your guests will understand! (unless of course its like in a month )

    EDIT: oh wow this is a 5 month old thread….any updates?

    Post # 9
    5110 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: November 2011

    I think  you should just deley the wedding. Give yourselves more time to save up money and ask the vendors that you booked if they can move your deposits the the new date that you pick!

    Post # 10
    2891 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

    Can you really scale back? Can you still have a wedding with a backyard BBQ or potluck reception and take the caterer money for a photog? It might not be your dream wedding but it might be an option if the family feels like they put out money for nothing. Maybe you could post on your locaL board and see if a fellow bee can let you borrow decorations for your reception. Or you could always do a vintage wedding and borrow things http://vintage.weddings.com/ Flowers can be pretty and simple http://elseachelsea.typepad.com/frolic/2009/08/project-wedding-linen-lace.html

    Weddings can be done for $600-$800 and it seems like your family is willing to help out that much.

    If you can postpone it with no hard feelings do that. If not maybe the bees can help you come up with cheaper alternatives.


    The topic ‘Should I cancel the wedding?’ is closed to new replies.

    Find Amazing Vendors