Post # 1
I really need your help while I outline my situation. I think I know which decision to make but I am still having doubts about it. I will try to make this short but for you to understand as well.
In a nutshell I have worked at my company for almost 7 years in 2008 the sister company bought it and fired lots of people that worked in the Corporate divison ( company has a few divisions), including people that has been here during start up something like 26 years, let go just like that, I was so sad, they were sad I watched one employee throw out all her awards, etc because she felt like 20 plus years of her life gone…..and so easy. Anyway my dept was shut down and moved end of 2009 30 mins done the street ( keep in mind I already live 45 minutes from the current location), I was asked to move with it to which I politely declined because I would have to add 3 hours each day for work which included commute time, no raise and gas expenses would be higher. From 2008-2009 the work that 4 use to do turned into just me since they were planning to shut it down and move it to the location which they did as I mentioned beforePLUS I had to train the people that would take over, this was difficult but I did it. Anyway the new Manager that would be at the other location was very intimidated by my knowledge and wanted to pick my brain as much as possible and then have me gone but the President loved me so gave me 2 options take the severance, stay in another dept pay cut & hate it. I chose to stay even though I hated the position I knew that something in my field for the other division would be open in 4 months, I needed to work and health insurance. Anyway so 4 months later a position was open with a better match and I was doing basically some of the same things but still the pay was not the same as in the Corporate division even though the workload tripled, they told me that it was due to the dept funding. Accepted that unhappily and have been working here, then now the same thing has happened again. They dropped a bomb that this dept will be moved down the road 7/29th. WTF ? Anyway here is situation we have until 7/1 to make a decision on if we plan to move or not. Only verbally they advised us that they would give some kind of severance….matter of fact everything was said verbally nothing in writing.
I already drive 45 mins to work now so an additional 30 mins is 1:15 mins in commute time
No raise-the company brought us all in a meeting lst year and told us they cannot give merit increases it has to be voted and agreed by …… (basically BS) just got my review and guess what almost PERFECT yet no raise. I will be saving this just in case they try to fight unemployment. Plus my expenses would be greater for gas, and car wear and tear or train ticket expenses.
The work hours would be 9 hours no flexibility-when I do have it here plus I work only 8. But being there my work day would be more like 11 1/2 with commute and that is if there is no traffic.
They do not take kindly to DR Appts at that location-for example for here if I work 8-4:30 and if I need to leave at 3 no worries on the other hand there they “MAKE” you use 1/2 day of sick time, and did I mention you only earn 4 hours sick time per month.
Here is where I need your help..
- Should I accept it and continue with wedding plans plus having a job
- Start looking for something else ( i did start last night) and if nothing then go anyway
- Postpone the wedding and take severance, unemployment and still look.
- Do not postpone the wedding, leave it with GOD and hope for the best?
Post # 3
Holy cow, what a mess. Can you two survive on just his income? And still pay for the wedding? To me, any job and income is better than none unless you can easily make do without. I would go along with this job and move, all the while looking for another better, closer job. I wouldnt want to postpone my wedding/life in this case.
Post # 4
Sorry to hear this – it is a tricky one for sure espcially with the way jobs are in South FL!! I know we live here too and Fiance company just got bought out and he was laid off with no notice!! he has not been able to find anything above min wage and even that has not been able to actually get a job offer!!! He has been offered a job in AZ and will be relocating out there until I find something and can join him.
I would think twich about just giving up a job right now – any job is better than not having one and being in the situation of unemployment running out too!! Take the job but sign up with local job agencies etc and find something closer to you.
Sending you lots of positive thoughts for a good outcome for you.
Post # 5
Thank you both so much..
@pinkshows-No he has a job now for a year was working with his for 7 or so years and laid off for 3. This current job is not stable, one week he works 40-60 hours the next 8 hours and no benefits So no we may not be able to
@Angkinah-that is what really scares me the most..that I decide to NOT suck it up and figure out the commute and not find a job for months. It is tough in South FLorida and I have been sending out my resume like crazy since last night. I pray something happens before 7/1 the deadling to give a response.
Post # 6
Is there any way that you can get contacting the agencies ASAP and see if they are are to offere you some advice as to what is the REAL job situation in your field in your local area? They gave my Fiance no hope in truth which is why he applied out of state BUT at least we knew and could make some decisions too. Which area of FL are you in (PM me if you like – I may have some agencies I could suggest for you too as I dealt with tons of them when I was moving down here from CT just last year!)
Post # 7
I would definitely not quit until something is lined up then. One with no job and and the other with unstable job is definitely not a place I’d put myself in. It sucks that the commute will be longer and increased commuting cost with no additional raise to make up for it, but as long as the net income is still positive, I’d put up with it until there’s a better option.
Post # 8
In this economy I wouldn’t quit a job without having another lined up. I say as much as it stinks, make the move and start aggressively looking. Hopefully it will only be temporary and you will find something quickly!
Post # 9
You need to get a new job. Start looking now, update your resume, post it in CareerBuilder and Monster and Indeed. Update your LinkedIn profile. Use Indeed to search and apply for positions. This isn’t normal and shouldn’t be acceptable…you can do better, I’m sure!
Post # 10
Do not leave until you have a new job lined up? how much do you guys haveleft to pay on the wedding? what was you orginal budget? What is more important, a nice, expesive wedding, or marrying your best friend?
Post # 11
I know it hurts and a pain to drive that far everyday, but stay at the company until you at least find another job. As you accept the move I don’t care if they give you a raise leave the company as soon as possible when the right job becomes available. Reason I say leave because this company is very unstable. Owning a company myself I would never place 50 of my employees in a situation like this.
Post # 12
Thanks everyone for your comments and guidance. I was sure I was not going to go with the added expenses but now I have to think logically, network and be realistic.
@Ellegee– it really isnt normal I feel like this company is doing re-organizing every 5 minutes but did Career builder and Monster and will try Indeed.
@MrsStrawberry24 – You are right about not leaving until something is lined up. I almost laughed at this question, what don’t we have left is really the question. I have taken care of a lot of the decor part but still lots to go. Food we cannot agree ( we have a friend that wants to cook as a gift and I have heard of nightmares with this, while I want a caterer and have found one that is reasonable), photographer-appt with him on 6/17 for e-pics and budget is $5000 max and I think we can pull it off BUT if necessary I would just not do the reception have a private wedding and then do the reception later on if necessary and no big weddings arent important to me at all, just him and having the people we love with us on our day.
@OrganicGrl -It will be a pain to drive is an understatement, on the weekends it isnt too bad but during the work rush hours it is a nightmare. Yes they are and me and some of the vets of the previous company have a little joke among us that every day there is a new face in the building and an old one gone.
Post # 13
@MissNacholover-Yes this economy is making me sick right now, they know if times were better it would have been a disaster for them to do this.
Post # 14
you need a job. over an hour commute sucks but i know MANY people who do it. My dad commuted into NYC from NJ for 25 years. Over an hour each way and a bus fee. He left at 6 and never got home til 8. A lot of people do it. Take the job and be thankful you have one, continue the wedding plans. Just keep your options open and keep looking – one day a better job will come along. keep the faith!