(Closed) Should I File a Claim?

posted 6 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

If it costs you money to pursue it, there’s no way you’ll come out ahead on a 12 year old car. I’d just buy a new car (or a used “new to you” car) if that’s needed. At some point, you’re just throwing good money after bad.

Post # 4
254 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I work for a personal injury lawyer… you should look into it. There are a million personal injury lawyers that will look into these on a “we don’t get paid unless you do” basis (contingency fee). At least call someone, what do you have to lose?

Post # 5
380 posts
Helper bee

Unfortunately I think the police report is correct in saying you were both at fault – albeit him more so than you. He ran a yellow but you entered the intersection without ensuring it was clear. If you file a claim, you may find yourself partly liable, which might mean paying for any damage to his car. It’s up to you, but it could cause more drama for you…

Post # 6
1318 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

If no one was listed as at-fault, I don’t know that there is a way to get his insurance to pay… you could possibly take him to small claims court, but you would be suing him directly and insurance would not be involved, but you could get the car fixed. Filing it on your insurance could raise your premiums… If it’s not that bad, I would just leave it alone or look into how much it would cost to get it fixed yourself. 

Post # 7
46402 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

If the police report says you are equally responsible, you will likely not have any luck collecting from the other person’s insurance. Basically you will each be responsible for your own damage.

Post # 9
2009 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I’d let it go.  

The topic ‘Should I File a Claim?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors