(Closed) Should I join Facebook? Pros & Cons

posted 9 years ago in Technology
  • poll: Should I open a Facebook account?
    Yes-everyone is doing it and it is awesome! : (17 votes)
    71 %
    No-everyone is doing it and it sucks! : (2 votes)
    8 %
    No-everyone is doing it and it is fun, but you'll think it sucks! : (5 votes)
    21 %
  • Post # 3
    1266 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2009

lol I chose all 3. Is that allowed?

Post # 4
    7173 posts
    Busy Beekeeper

The thing I don’t like about FB is when you comment on a friend’s album, it lets ALL your friends see that friends photos.  Talk about stalking!

It’s fun for a while, but gets old quick.

Conversely, it’s fun to see friend’s kids pics, etc…

Post # 6
    3331 posts
    Sugar bee

I am anti-Facebook, but I’m pretty much the only person I know how doesn’t do it.  Personally, I’m just not that interested in it.  I feel like I have plenty of other thigns to spend time on (ahem, Weddingbee!).  Also, it’s not that I wish anyone ill-will, but if I’ve lost touch with folks from HS or college, I probably don’t need to know what they’re up to.  I don’t want to get caught up in the whole popularity contest aspect of it.  Finally, in my profession, I think it’s important to maintain a level of privacy that I don’t think Facebook completely allows. 

I think there’s something strange about it.  One of my friends put photos from my wedding on her site, so then, like random strangers who went to her HS can see pictures of me?  I’m just not down…

Post # 7
    2143 posts
    Buzzing bee

I like Facebook, personally. I have a lot of old friends and stuff I found on Facebook, but, you are exactly right. You can accept who you want, add what you want, show what you want, etc. I don’t think anyone really gets mad if you dont accept them on Facebook unless they think they are a close friend or something (say maybe you would deny you sister or BFF lol). It doesn’t send a notification if you declined an invitation, so mostly they are likely to forget about it anyway. If you dont like it in the end, you could always delete it!

Post # 8
    5494 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2011

Facebook is free and  you can use it as little or as much as you want.  I would just join.  It’s not a financial commitment or a time commitment or a commitment of any kind.  I don’t think it’s THAT big of a decision to be agonizing and mulling over.

Post # 9
    175 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: July 2010

Jessie516: They can still see those pictures of you, even if you are not on Facebook. 

I am very cautious about what I post on Facebook (in terms of things I write, or pictures I post). Often my fiance tells me to take things down which I posted up. I am just as cautious of things I post on WeddingBee, too! 

The one thing I like about Facebook, though, which is my reason for not deleting it, is the fact that I can communicate with my cousins overseas! It is not easy to constantly send pictures and thoughts through e-mail (or worse, snail mail), so it provides much more communication than would otherwise occur. 

Post # 10
    2680 posts
    Sugar bee

I like it, and I havent had alot of people I dont know contact me to be my friend.  I like keeping up to date with family (who is the majority of my friends) because they live across the country so its nice to see pics and what they are up to.

Post # 11
    2004 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: November 2008

I love facebook! Lots of my far-flung friends use it and it is a great way to keep in touch. Just this evening my high school history teacher friended me and I was so excited to hear from her!

Like Karina said, there can be photos of you on facebook whether you yourself have a facebook account or not. Once you have an account though, those photos will be able to be "tagged’ as having you in them. Howver, you can "untag" yourself from any unflattering photos. The untagged photos don’t disappear off facebook, but when you look at "Marzipan’s photos" they won’t show up. You would have to look manually through the album they are in to see them. 

If you don’t accept someone’s friend request, they will be none the wiser. If you ignore it, they don’t get a message telling them…it just looks like you never took any action. Lots of people are inactive on their accounts and it’s not unreasonable to think that they just hadn’t gotten around to accepting it yet. I have been friended by people I was never particularly close to. Some of those invites I ignored, and others I accepted but I put those people in a category where they can’t see any of my updates or photos. 

The topic ‘Should I join Facebook? Pros & Cons’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors