(Closed) Should I negotiate?

posted 4 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 2
Member
626 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2016

Is there something in the package you can remove?

Post # 3
Member
7042 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

I think if you spend any more time delaying your photographer choice you’re going to be running out of options. Photographers raise their prices as they get booked up and gain experience. You can haggle, it doesn’t mean she’ll accept. If you like her, and were willing to pay the price prior to seeing someone else’s contract, you should stick with it. 

Post # 5
Member
435 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2016

We negotiated everything. We saved $50 to 100 dollars on almost everything. We even save $1K on the venue. Always negotiate. If they say this is my bottom price then you know but no one has said that everyone has worked with us. It never hurts to ask. 

Post # 7
Member
2005 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2016

I’d say negotiate! 

Post # 8
Member
4098 posts
Honey bee

cherryiice:  when she said “delaying your choice,” I didn’t take that as her saying you should rush the decision or even placing fault on you. The way I took it was, you have already had a hard enough time finding a photographer you like that wasn’t booked on your date. No one said it was your fault, so I’m not sure why you took it that way?

Post # 9
Member
1444 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

She specifically told you to let her know if it’s a big issue for you, and it sounds like it is. I’d just be honest with her that you’d really like to work with her but that $350 difference is equivalent to your entire flower budget, so you’re not sure if you can swing it. Maybe there’s something in the package you can sacrifice or compromise on. Maybe she’ll give you a break because she really wants to shoot a wedding at your venue or likes working with your caterer or something.

Post # 12
Member
2394 posts
Buzzing bee

I agree with unicornphish. She basically gave you an opening to negotiate when she told you that she would work with you if the higher prices were an issue. I think you can just tell her that you’re on a really tight budget, that you really want to work with her, but that you had budgeted less than her quote, and the number on the other person’s contract is closer (maybe still over) to what you originally budgeted. See what she says. Certainly can’t hurt to ask.

Post # 13
Member
1024 posts
Bumble bee

Vendors change their pricing all the time and I’d err on the side of respecting what the current rates are since it’s likely a more fair representation of what her work is worth. And, if her rates are slowly climbing and you like her stuff, I’d book now since they’re likely to continue climbing. 

  • This reply was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by  lorelai.
Post # 14
Member
815 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

cherryiice:  you said that she said you can work something out? Just ask her if there is anything she can do in terms of pricing and she what she says. It lets HER tell you how much she’d be comfortable taking off..

Post # 15
Member
4098 posts
Honey bee

cherryiice:  it’s all good, no worries. As PPs have said, you can always ask if they can bring the price down a bit, but if they say no I’d still go with them personally. 

The topic ‘Should I negotiate?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors