Should I postpone September wedding (Australia)?

posted 3 months ago in Venue
Post # 2
Member
2131 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2020

If you want everyone to be there, I would postpone until next year. 

Post # 3
Member
2344 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2018

Can you postpone and keep all your deposits?

Post # 5
Member
83 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: February 2021

View original reply
calireaming112 :  hey! Where are you getting married? I was August 29 in Sydney, and I’ve moved it to next February. They are estimating 6 months of disruptions – i would postpone.

Post # 6
Member
195 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2020

i’m in the US and we arent postponing YET. 9-19 is our date. In fact, most spring brides here are rescheduling for fall of this year. They are quite optomistic, id say. 

I will add that we are okay with some people having to miss is to stay healthy and safe. 

Post # 7
Member
433 posts
Helper bee

Depends on how big your wedding is currently planned to be and how determined you are to keep to your plans.  If it’s smallish, or you’re prepared to go smaller, I’d wait.  If it’s huge and you want to keep it that way, then postpone now.

Post # 8
Member
398 posts
Helper bee

Sorry to be a downer but yes I would reschedule ๐Ÿ™ 

Post # 9
Member
5397 posts
Bee Keeper

RE the first venue, not sure how the law works there but can you sue the insurance company for that first venue? It doesn’t seem right that they kept everyones deposits. They liquidated they should have paid people back something.  I’d argue that the cash you gave them should be up there in creditors they owe. But I’m in the US also not a lawyer….

Post # 10
Member
189 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2020

I’m in a similar boat. My wedding is in September, but my venue is asking if I can wait until end of June. They are currently rebooking April-May brides at the moment for August -November of this year. They feel pretty confident. I feel like you should wait because things could be fine.

Post # 11
Member
818 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

hey! melb bee here ๐Ÿ™‚ 

I think at this stage it could go either way and to be honest i feel like weddings can be stressful enough without worrying about whether it may or may not go ahead for the next few months.. sorry I’d probably postpone a year to be sure – that is if you do definitely want a big wedding with all friends and family. ๐Ÿ™ 

Post # 12
Member
54 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2020 - City, State

Agree with the other brides, if you want the big wedding with everyone there then I would postpone. 

However, we are having a September 19th wedding and my fiancé and I have decided we’re getting married on that date regardless. I did just make a Plan B – a new, smaller guest list that only includes family and bridal party, and we’re ok with that. Of course we want everyone there, but we just want to be married (and make sure everyone is safe, of course)!

Hell, I’d marry him alone in our barn venue. We already paid for it!  Hugs bee. It will all work out. It is the uncertainty that is the hardest thing, imo.

Post # 13
Member
539 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2020

Hugs Bee, I’m also in Australia and the restrictions have forced us to postpone our wedding (it was supposed to be this coming weekend).

My advice is to hang in there – sort of. Talk to your ‘VIP’ vendors the ones you can’t do the wedding without (venue, caterer, photographer, etc.) see how they are feeling and how much notice they need to be given to postpone. If you can I would wait another month and see if we have any clarity on the restrictions and timeframes we have in place.

If it were before September I would definitely postpone, but I feel like September could go either way at the moment. I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this, I know how stressful it is but fingers crossed these crazy times don’t last as long as they’re predicting!

I’m always happy to chat if you need someone to talk to as well <3

Post # 14
Member
9087 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

If you are leaning towards postponing then I wouldn’t wait. Especially if you want to get married this year. September onwards is the traditional wedding season here so it is likely to already be heavily booked so you would be competing for limited slots with other couples who have had to postpone. 

 

View original reply
calireaming112 :  

Post # 15
Member
1280 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2020 - Las Vegas, NV

I’m in the US and mine is October and I just canceled it today. 

Leave a comment


Find Amazing Vendors