(Closed) Should I purchase a pre-owned Tiffany setting solitaire, or buy the Vatche U113?

posted 6 years ago in Rings
Post # 2
316 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

Can you show us pictures?

Post # 3
2342 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

Actual photos of the Vatche U113 are amazing. I’ve seen plenty on Pricescope. If it were me, I’d go with Whiteflash and get a much bigger and potentially better diamond than you would get at Tiffany for the same price. When I was oblivious to my imminent engagement and looking to buy myself a solitaire, I dealt with Shehara from Whiteflash, I highly recommend her. 

I have no axe to grind against Tiffany, I have a lot of their silver items and have bought it as gifts, and I think their bands and settings are lovely, but the price premium on their precious stones is just too, too high for me. For some people the magic of that Tiffany box is worth it, it’s a personal decision. 

Post # 4
2342 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

If you Google image the setting, you’ll see a stack of photos. I think it’s best not to think of the Vatche U113 as a wannabe Tiffany but as a beautiful Tiffany inspired setting (as many are) with its own design integrity. I think it is highly respected in the trade.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Drizzle.
Post # 5
131 posts
Blushing bee

I would suggest that you go with the Vatche setting adn buy a separate stone. 

1. Vatche makes some of the tiffany settings I have heard so while it won’t be identical, it should be a similar quality.

2. I don’t think you will be able to buy just a Tiffany setting. Certainly not from Tiffany, and I doubt you could find one without a stone pre-owned. If you did, I would be suspicious of its authenticity.

3. Tiffany is a premium. If the brand is not important to you, or getting a better bang for buck on diamond size is important to you, you will be able to do better elsewhere and get an amazing ring

And….this advice is coming from someone that would love to have a Tiffany ring, and would happily get a smaller stone for the real thing…..

Post # 6
588 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

I have the vatche U113! It is the closest replica to the tiffany setting. I was able to find a local jeweler that is a Vatche retailer. I purchased my diamond online and the local store sent the stone to NY to be set. 1.01ct I VS2 AGS 000 On size 6 finger. Here are a few pics. My wedding band is .50ctw 7 stone shared prong wedding band in platinum from whiteflash  

View original reply
CaitlenW:  

Post # 7
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: August 2015

I used to work for Tiffany and desperately wanted the classic Tiffany 6 prong solitaire paired with the Tiffany eternity band. My now husband ended up purchasing the Vatche U-113 from Whiteflash and I could not be happier with it!!  He was able to get a larger, ideal cut stone for much less than he would have paid at Tiffany. Although I will say, it gets mistaken for a Tiffany ring all the time!  I paired it with the Annette’s U-Prong 3/4 eternity band (also from Whiteflash) and it is truly my dream set!  Good luck with your ring search! So much fun! 

Post # 8
6236 posts
Bee Keeper

View original reply
mrsshaffer:  that set is gorgeous. Your diamond is huge!  We ended up with an antique ring but if id known about this setting when we were looking, I’d have gone for it (we were also doing the diamond buying online to set in a seperate setting and would recommend the pricescope forum to the original poster)

Post # 9
6236 posts
Bee Keeper

View original reply
LoveLikeCrazy:  that is an amazing stone!

after seeing these pics im saying go down the route of this setting, unleas the 2nd hand Tiffany is a bargain and/or if having a tiffanys is important to you. I guess the 2nd hand ring will have a diamond certificate so you can see what you’re getting and compare it to online diamonds at the same spec. 

Post # 10
4634 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

View original reply
mrsshaffer:  Gorgeous! What size is your stone? I was looking at the U113 too, but went the custom route instead

Post # 11
3098 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2017

View original reply
CaitlenW:  I love my (small!)Tiffany diamond solitaire. Tiffany sells amazing diamonds + have their own ethical mine but sooo pricey..  I understand why you want to go elsewhere. 

I wouldn’t want a copy or am “inspired” style.  have you considered buying a used Tiffany solitaire? if you buy one with all the paperwork it will have the diamond angles and you can calculate the HCA score

Post # 12
9565 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2015

The  Vatche is really close and Mark Morell Torchiere is gorgeous in its own right. If you can find a pre owned tiffany setting thats legit go for it though- Tiffany diamonds are all superb quality. It’s true you can get the same quality diamond for less elsewhere but those online retailers you mentioNed versions of the Tiff setting look clunky IMO. Is it an option to just save longer and get the ring you really want? That’s often cheaper in the long run then not being satisfied and wanting an upgrade. FWIW I have it and love it, and really enjoy the service. The brand upcharge was worth it to us- no regrets.

Post # 13
1706 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Meh, Tiffany is pretty, but I would not pay the price premium, you can get just as good quality (or better) for a much better price elsewhere. The Vatche is amazing. 

Post # 14
859 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2010

I think a good question is – Will you ever want to upgrade in the future?

If the answer is yes, I’d go with Tiffany. I think secondhand would be best – regular price is just way too high. Tiffany may be super expensive, but if you buy it secondhand (with all of the paperwork) and keep it in good condition, you’ll be able to sell it later for close to what you paid. I don’t see much else out there keeping its value continually for decades to come like Tiffany does.. 

If the answer is no, then why not splurge now for something you really want and will get to enjoy for forever? 

I’m not usually a supporter of Tiffany diamonds and don’t even own any, but I do know what it’s like to regret not getting something I really wanted and wish that I had! 

Just my 2¢!

Post # 15
229 posts
Helper bee

Tiffany will not set loose non-Tiffany stones (I asked an associate several years ago); all their classic six-prong settings are made to the dimensions of the stone they hold. I got a custom six-prong that is virtually identical to the Vatche and they made the prongs to my (heirloom round brilliant) stone’s exact dimensions in the same way Tiffany does, including the squared-off prongs (which was important to me). My stone is 1 carat and looks very similar to LoveLikeCrazy’s. It is truly my dream ring, and I would recommend it to anyone!

The topic ‘Should I purchase a pre-owned Tiffany setting solitaire, or buy the Vatche U113?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors