- 6 years ago
- Wedding: November 2011
I currently work PT (2-3 days a week) and my contract is going to expire in the next few months and I’m not sure if I should renew or not.
1) I get paid based on our store sales. I was told it would equal $800-$1200 a month (tax free b/c I’m overseas) but ever since our new mgr. took over, our sales have sucked…I’m lucky to make the minimum $800. We also moved to a larger, newer location and the sales were supposed to skyrocket…in the past 2 months, they haven’t but we have “more” work to do b/c the store is 5x larger.
2) The only reason I’ve made over $800 is b/c myself and the mgr. are doing the work of another employee (she quit and they’ve yet to get a replacement in 3.5 months) so I essentially do the work of 2 people. They just started interviews for a new person so my pay will go down when they hire someone…unless sales increase!
3) The mgr. is super sweet…but it’s a fault. She lets our volunteers (we are essentially “paid volunteers) walk all over her. She’s BFFs w/a couple of them who think I’m out to take her job (I do WAY more work than her and our bosses notice) so they make snarky remarks to me all the time and unfortunately, she doesn’t reprimand them. By The Way, I have NO interest in going for her job, she doesn’t make that much more than me and she puts up with a lot of stuff too.
4) Even though it’s PT, I still go in on days off to finish the financial stuff b/c the mgr. is either always on my computer (she has her own) or doesn’t want me in the office but out on the sales floor…so I go in at least 1 day extra per week.
5) DH’s job is becoming super stressful…we had a major talk the other night and he said he misses the fact that I used to be home and taking care of all the “little things” around the house…he makes enough for both of us. I only started working to “help” a little but he mentioned it doesn’t equal to the hours I put in not to mention the stress from the job.
6) I started working b/c I wanted to meet new people (I have) and contribute something/anything to our bank account but as Darling Husband said, I work late 1 night a week (home after 9 pm) and I work every other Saturday…which means our travel has to be scheduled around my work schedule.
1) I really do like some of my coworkers and they can make a bad day even better. And it’s nice to get out of the house sometimes!
2) Many of my DH’s bosses come in all the time and have complimented me for being so professional. It’s come up in conversations who I’m married to (it’s a military community and people here really care about that stuff) and I know it helps Darling Husband. He’s shy, keeps to himself, and doesn’t get the recognition he deserves for his hard work…so I feel like I’m “supporting” him in his career as well by working there.
3) If I didn’t renew, I could still volunteer and get the EXACT same benefits as now except w/o the pay. And I could work as few hours as I wanted.