(Closed) Should we still go to Mexico????

posted 9 years ago in Honeymoons
  • poll: Would you still go to Mexico?
    Yes, take the Tamiflu with you, you should be fine, it's only the flu! : (11 votes)
    55 %
    No, switch locations and have your MIL pay the difference : (8 votes)
    40 %
    Other, please explain : (1 votes)
    5 %
  • Post # 3
    73 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: May 2009

    Hmmm.  We were scheduled to leave for the Mayan Riviera on May 12, and we decided to switch to Jamaica (for about the same amount of $$ as it would cost you to switch).  We’re not big germaphobes or anything, but taking a chance didn’t seem like the best plan to us.  But what really tipped the scales for us was hearing that since tourism has nosedived, most resorts are only operating at 20 – 30% capacity, with lots of restaurants and tours and stuff shut down.  We’re doing the all-inclusive thing, and didn’t want to lose our options because the place was empty. 

     Hope this helps – I know you’ll have a great honeymoon either way!

    Post # 5
    44 posts
    • Wedding: November 2008

    And another quote:

    U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano acknowledged claims by Mexican authorities who believe their cases have peaked. "I have no reason to think that is inaccurate," Napolitano said.

    "What the epidemiologists are seeing now with this particular strain of H1N1 is that the severity of the disease, the severity of the flu — how sick you get — is not stronger than regular seasonal flu."

    My feeling is – would you stay home during regular flu season?  Then stay home.  Otherwise, go for it.  Have fun, whatever you decide!

    Post # 6
    820 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2009

    I dont know, it’s such a tough call. You can probably go and be fine but you are certainly increasing your risk by going. Personally I don’t think $300-400 is very much money so I would take them up on the offer if they really are insistent and don’t mind. And also if you can find a place that excites you guys as much as your other tirp did. If not, and you’re really set on Mexico, then just go and take the tamiflu. Hope that helps!

    Post # 7
    2022 posts
    Buzzing bee

    Personally, I wouldn’t want to even worry for a second about it, so I would change my honeymoon destination.  But, I probably would not ask my Future Mother-In-Law to pay for it.  If she offered, I may accept, but wouldn’t request it.

    Post # 8
    113 posts
    Blushing bee

    We are headed to Mexico in June for our honeymoon and haven’t changed our plans. With the Swine Flu being all over the United States too, it doesn’t make sense to worry. You could catch it here at home too…just bring your Tamiflu and hand sanitizer and have a great time!  

    Post # 9
    13 posts
    • Wedding: May 2009

    We’re headed to Mexico as well.  We hear the resorts are picking up the pace and all are keeping open with the restaurants and all.  If you have time, check out http://www.tripadvisor.com and there are lots of posters on there that are in Mexico or have gone there very recently with the outbreak.  When it all first happened, I think we could have switched but the resort is charging cancellation fees now.  We should be fine!  Tell your Mother-In-Law you’ll call her everyother day.

    The topic ‘Should we still go to Mexico????’ is closed to new replies.

    Find Amazing Vendors