(Closed) Show & tell me your inexpensive, delicious Hors d’oeuvres

posted 7 years ago in Food
Post # 3
140 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

I think “Devils on horseback” (dried prunes wrapped in streaky bacon and roasted in the oven till the bacon is crispy) would be nice. Put 3 or so on a skewer to make serving them easier.

Unpeeled potatoes, sliced quite thick, baked in the oven till golden, topped with a spread based on cream cheese (I love garlic, but that might not be that great for wedding) and finished with a chive garnish/crumbled bacon/chopped ham…

The above can be done with cucumber and is also delicious. For a fancier twist you can have cucumber “baskets” instead of just slices.

Would that work for you?

Post # 5
269 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

What time of year is your wedding and what kind of theme are you doing?

-Bacon wrapped water chestnuts (seriously amazing!)
-mini egg rolls
-sweedish meatballs (or those other ones with that sticky sauce?)
-mini franks in a blanket
-pot stickers
-prosciutto wrapped melon
-mini quiches

just some suggestions! Let us know what you decide to do!

Post # 6
2889 posts
Sugar bee

Similar to the bacon chedder pinwheels you can do a version with wraps and cream cheese (or feta) and salami and chives. Roll, stick toothpicks in, slice and bake then serve hot or at room temperature. Also, filo dough (puf pastry) rolled out, sliced into squares, spread some cream cheese in the middle of each square, top with tomato, zucchini, bacon bits, etc, and bake. Delicious served cold and looks great. I recently made both for DH’s colleagues and both were the first to go from a app buffet. Veggies and dip is another classic app. which is cheap and goes perfectly with BBQ, esp. if you have any health conscious or vegetarians in your crowd.

Post # 7
328 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

bacon cheddar pinwheels! those look delicious! I might have to eat them on a regular ol’ Tuesday!

Post # 8
968 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

Bruschetta! (on bagel chips)

We also had some sausage-stuffed mushroom caps. I usually don’t care for either, but they were good.

Post # 10
7587 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

I make a large kind of salsa thing that people call “Texas Caviar”. It tastes so stinking amazing but it’s so basic. Chopped Red Pepper, chopped green pepper, can of shoepeg corn, can of black beans, chopped chives, and a small amount of robusto italian dressing. Serve it with scoops so delish! 

You could also make a mini-empanada. These you can make ahead of time and freeze too. You can put anything in them, but I make mine thanksgiving style. Ground turkey, bread crumbs, parsely, parm cheese, and some cranberry sauce. Fold them into dough (my sister uses biscuit dough) and then you bake them up. Serve with gravy as the dip.

The topic ‘Show & tell me your inexpensive, delicious Hors d’oeuvres’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors