Show me your plus size dress, 2018 to 2020 brides!

posted 1 year ago in Dress
Post # 31
2 posts
Wannabee

My first advice is to go to a store and try on all the dress shapes. Sometimes you think that something won’t look right, but in truth is, you never know until your in it. Don’t let sales people push you into anything, and while your loved ones’ opinions are important, it’s your wedding.

When I went, I took into considerations others’ opinions over mine and I ended up hating my dress – at first. I bought it while still being unsatisfied and actually cried when I got home. My now husband couldnt believe that I bought something that hus mother loved and not what I wanted. It wasn’t until I took control and had it altered that made it feel like “my dress”. So, moral of the story; the bride is the bride.

Another thing to consider is where to buy the dress. I did some experimenting with buying online vs from a store. First thing, there are reputable online stores that you can get dressed from – however go to a store to try on the shape before ordering. Second, don’t assume that large retailers are best for prices. The high end stores have sales several times a year. I actually bought my designer dress, a Maggie Sottero, from what I’d say was a high-end store for $700. 

Another thing is to considered under garments. You want to get a dress that looks amazing, but keep in mind what goes under. For example plugging backs don’t work with a lot of shape ware or if you’re busty, you have to consider a bra… 

Lastly, my advice deals with alteration. They are ridiculously expensive and sometimes going with the store provided seamstress, isn’t always the best. My dress was incomplete 9 days before my wedding. The seamstress, said she could do something, which she could not. I added sleeves to my dress and she had a really hard time attaching them. It could have been a nightmare.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors