I’m currently on my way to losing 75 lbs (I’ve lost 25 so far).
Things that worked for me:
1) Giving up on the gym. There’s too many excuses you can pull out to not make a trip to the gym. Instead I use Daily Burn (subscription service for video workouts). I love the trainers and the community so it’s absolutely worth the $15 a month, plus it’s a lot harder to talk myself out of working out when I can do it at home. Plus, you can always use free workout videos on YouTube if you don’t want to pay for something like Daily Burn
2) Tracking calories using MyFitnessPal. Weight loss isn’t all about counting calories but it gives you a good look at just how much you are eating and what kinds of foods you are eating.
3) Meal Plan. You won’t stick to any diet if you are constantly having to go to the store to be able to make dinner that night or are trying to think of something healthy with whatever happens to be in your fridge. Pre-plan your meals for the week!
4) Bullet Journaling, especially having a habit tracker. Bullet journaling is a stress reliever for me but it’s also a great visual for how well you are keeping up with a habit, I get a strange amount of satisfaction just from being able to check off that I did my workout that day. And journaling about the process is helpful for me too. It helps me remember why I’m doing this.
5) Set realistic goals and reward yourself when you achieve them (but never with food). Lost 5 lbs? Awesome, treat yourself to a massage. Worked out 3-4 days a week for a month? Yay, get that new pair of shoes that you want.
6) Don’t buy junk food. If it’s not in the house you won’t eat it.
7) Buy a big water bottle and make it your goal to drink lots of water through out the day. Honestly, never drink your calories. Any drink that has calories in it, cut out completely. Stick to water, coffee, and tea.
8) Workout even when you don’t feel like it. It’s a mental game. You won’t wake up every morning wanting to workout. Most days I don’t want to workout but you’ll never regret doing a workout.
9) Get active in fun ways. Go hiking on weekends and for walks or bike rides during the week. Use it as time to reconnect with your SO and get healthier together.