(Closed) Sick of planning a wedding with only $1000… *JUST A VENT*

posted 9 years ago in Emotional
Post # 77
5118 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Another place to check would be JCPenny’s after-prom sales, they often have white gowns that are very pretty, from simple to fancy. I almost bought a gorgeous yellow poofy prom gown for $20, but I was in college so I just really couldn’t justify it. Renting a gown is an option too if there are places near you that do that. I rented my prom gowns from this sweet old lady who would clean them, hem them for you, and then take them back for a very reasonable price.

Also, @gvsusara:, I think you’re pretty awesome! I hope to do such a thing as well, but I’ve got to wear mine first. 🙂

Post # 78
442 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

@gvsusara: That is so nice of you to donate your dress, we need more people like you in this world. 

Post # 81
347 posts
Helper bee

I can sympathize.  While I got married 9 years ago, we probably spent a total of $1500 (my mom/dad paid).  We found a great venue but did EVERYTHING ourselves and I skimped out on alot – and my freakng mother in law made sure we knew she hated our wedding (she’s a show off but of course only contributed wine and beer b/c she’s an alcoholic – I’m being serious).  My dress was a white Bridesmaid or Best Man dress for $150 very plain…my mom did the food, I did my own hair and it looked like crap (and my mother in a hair stylist but was so busy), i had one maid of honor b/c i didn’t want people to spend money for a short time (got married on a friday night), we didn’t have a DJ or dancing, our cake looked like crap b/c I didn’t even have a real wedding cake to save money and go with our nautical theme (stupid…hubby loves boats and we love the water but i shouldn’t have done it) and the list goes on and on and on.  I think that’s why I’m still obsessed with weddings (dresses, weddings, rings, etc…) b/c as our 10th approaches, I wish I could do something over again…even if it’s just a party or wedding photos (ours SUCKED…best pic we have is one of our backs, taken by a guest).  I don’t have really any good advice but just remember that the only important thing is that the people you love are with you and you are marrying the man you love.  I guess for me, I need to take my own advice and remember that my dad was there to give me away since he died a year later.  When I look at it that way, I guess I can’t really think too negatively, although I still get envious seeing others who can afford huge, lavish weddings and not worry about a budget!

Post # 82
1315 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I’d say if there’s a photog school within any sensible kind of distance  – maybe up to 6-7 hour drive, even? –  if a student is really looking to build their portfolio and you offer to cover gas, a bed for the night and they get fed and watered like any other guest, they’ll say yes to you.

A photographer really has nothing to get work on without their portfolio, so even though you might not be paying them, it’s not like they’re going away empty handed either.

P.S The original Rathdrum is about fifty miles down the road from me, and that is a verrrry small village haha!

Post # 83
6350 posts
Bee Keeper

@aunt pol: I was going to recommend the same thing. Even if its not a photog school a lot of colleges have a photog dept. 

Post # 85
64 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

@cyndistar3: forgot to mention:Friends and Family! My good friend just did our engagement session and the pictures came out bueatiful:) She is trying to build her portfolio. I also as I also have a neighbor doing all the catering. All of these are the best I can think of to pull of a 1k wedding. I’m a full time mom of 2 and college student so I know how important your time is over working!

Post # 86
1227 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

cyndistar, FWIW I think it’s fantastic you’re hosting your wedding on a smaller budget. I think you’re being very practical, and you’re putting what you want in your life and marrriage ahead of what really amounts to just one day. But, you’re also getting creative and making the most out of that one day to make it as special as you and your Fiance deserve! That takes real effort, much more than what many people go through for their weddings, and kudos to you for taking on that challenge.

I certainly can sympathize with how difficult it can be to put together a great wedding on a small budget. I wish I had some tips for you, but I feel like PPs have covered everything I would say. I just wanted to add that I’m rooting for you, and good luck!

Post # 88
19 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: March 2011

Phew, I’m glad you posted this…I’m in the same boat – we want to get married on a teeny tiny budget too. I oscillate between being really excited at all the opportunities for decoration etc and being morbidly depressed because the whole day is going to look like a 10 year old’s art project…

We’re doing all the food ourselves, friends as photographers (happily Fiance has a rockin’ sound system so the dancing is sorted). I’m hoping to borrow a wedding dress off a relative of a friend. We’re either going to be married/reception in a village hall or a local barn. Mostly the family are ok with the plans, but the last person to get married in my family had their reception in Stirling Castle (I was a bridesmaid and it was awesome but waaay out of my price range) so I feel like I’m going to be compared with them…and not in a good way!

But deep breaths all round, it’ll be fine, it’ll certainly be remembered one way or the other!

Best of luck with your plans! x

Post # 89
6350 posts
Bee Keeper

@Straggler: I’m sure your wedding will be beautiful, special and meaningful as well. Check out the DIY boards here. The girls have made some amazing things.

Post # 90
4 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I also have a low budget not quite as low as yours but its almost there..as far as your pictures go…I am sure you have a FB or Myspace with a friend that loves taking pics.We are getting married outside at a city park on the lake not much decorating needs to be done.We are having our reception at a small restaurant who is furnishing an awsome band…my centerpieces are a wine bottle with a single longstemmed rose…just think for a while and be creative…I like to be different.I have a 4,000 dollar budget including my honeymoon which knocks 1500 off of that my dress I bought for 200 and is gorgeous of course to me a big dress is tacky for me…jus doesnt suit me.

Post # 91
141 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I’ll admit I didn’t read through all the comments, but that’s what my budget is too, and I totally understand the frustration/jealousy you are going through! My fiance and I have different priorities than most people; we’ve decided that any money we can save is better served by being put towards a down payment on our first house. My dad kindly offered 1000$ for the wedding, but even with that, we will be having a Justice of the Peace marry us, then having a casual party with close friends and family at my SIL’s house.

Is it frustrating being on these boards where most women do not have this problem? Yes. Would I trade my fiance for anything? No, and that’s what matters. You sound like you have some great DIY plans, and I hope that you have a wonderful day 🙂

The topic ‘Sick of planning a wedding with only $1000… *JUST A VENT*’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors