(Closed) My SIL OD'ed & I desperately need your advice about what to do

posted 6 years ago in Relationships
Post # 4
1735 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I am so sorry your family is going through this. This is awful. The daughter needs an emergency session with a therapist, definitely. Possibly even put under observation in the hospital if she’s truly out of control, for her own safety. Your SIL needs a therapist too, but I’m sure that’s already in the works. As for the rest of his family, just be available for them to talk out their feelings if they want to. Maybe do helpful things – cook a meal or offer to run errands or whatever they need done so they can concentrate on your SIL and not have to worry about the little day-to-day things during this stressful time. Good luck and again, I’m so sorry. You guys are in my thoughts. *hugs*

Post # 5
1695 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

I’m so sorry!  Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. 

Post # 6
3580 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Oh wow. I think just hugs and support is all you can do. 🙁

Post # 7
1022 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

I know this is kind of late, but I would suggest Baker Acting the 14 year old, before she actually does something. I hope everything gets better soon.

Post # 8
1733 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I’m SO SORRY about all of this. Your niece absolutely needs to be taken to see whoever her regular mental health care provider is ASAP. You mention that she has known issues, so I’m assuming she has a provider. If that person isn’t available, doesn’t matter — just get her in to see someone. If she’s actually a danger to herself or others (and not just histrionic), her guardians can do an involuntary short-term commitment. She may need to be in-patient for a little while until she can be stabilized — or meeting with someone, tweaking her meds or what have you may be enough to stabilize the situation. That poor, poor girl, and your poor SIL.

Generally speaking, I imagine that just providing logistical and emotional support will be the best thing for you guys to provide. Cooking meals, providing transportation, keeping the house clean, etc.

Post # 9
2905 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@Ms.Pink:  Ditto this. If she’s threatening to kill herself, you can call 911 and have her held for a psych evaluation at the emergency room. There’s a point where family help is not enough and professional help is needed. I know it can be difficult, but it could also prevent a tragedy. Only you and your family know what’s best for her, but it’s definitely something to think about.

Post # 10
2752 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

(((((HUGS))))) I don’t have any new ideas to add as the PPs all set down great ones. Just wanted to lend my support. You and the family are in my thoughts and prayers today.

Post # 11
1293 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Definitely be supportive for the 14 year old. Listen if she wants to talk. If she doesn’t, offer her  a hug full of love with no words, if that’s what it takes. She needs to feel safe to open up to someone. It’s so sad how the kids are always the ones who get hurt. She needs to get away from her mother. That kind of stress is difficult for an adult to deal with, let alone a child.

As for your SIL, this may or may not be a big enough wake up call. The thing with addicts is, they need to make their OWN decision to get clean and in-turn, be there for their children. I have a brother who OD, was flown by helecopter from one island to Honolulu, spent over a week in ICU and it still wasn’t enough to get him to change his ways.

I pray for only good things for that 14 year old girl.  


The topic ‘My SIL OD'ed & I desperately need your advice about what to do’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors