639 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

potato salad!  yum yum

Post # 4
14185 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I hate bbq so personally, i probably would pick at some salad or bread. Pork and bbq are two things i really don’t like, especially together. Can you leave some on the side without any sauce all over it? Especially if anyone has a gluten tolerance–bbq could be a no-no.

sides: salads are good, rolls (cornbread! yum!), glazed carrots, corn, beans (very easy to make ahead), potato salad (make early/refrigerate)…

Post # 6
1763 posts
Buzzing bee

I think some kind of pasta salad, like tortellini pesto salad would be good!

Post # 7
257 posts
Helper bee

Hmmm, just a suggestion, but since Sister and Brother In law are already BBQing for you guys (saving alot of money!) perhaps just buy the sides?

Post # 8
1638 posts
Bumble bee

mmm tortellini salad is SO yummy! The regular potato/pasta salad, rolls, maybe homemade mac n cheese for sides and anyone that doesn’t like bbq. Kids love mac n cheese!

Post # 10
474 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I second the pasta salad. There are so many types to choose from. Plus they are always so yummy 🙂

Post # 11
2058 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

OMG its 10:50 here and my mouth is now salivating for BBQ – Laughing 

Some of my favorite BBQ sides include……

• potatoe salad
  • cole slaw
  • baked beans
  • orzo salad – made 24 hrs prior
  • multi colored pasta salad – made 24 hrs prior

EDIT = foil wrapped grilled corn, mmmmmmm

Post # 12
14185 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Oh in that case I think you’re fine! Especially if there are sides….and most kids I know like bbq…kids especially! I’m just sort of a weirdo about pork and bbq

Oh and homemade mac and cheese sounds AMAZING. that’s a big crowd pleaser!

Some fruit trays would be nice….fruit’s always nice outside with a bbq I think!

Also, my mom makes something called Frog Eye Salad. It has acini pasta, a bunch of fruit, marshmallows, and coconut. It’s like a fruit salad but not the crappy canned+cool whip kind. It’s delicious.

Post # 13
368 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2010

Now I really want potato salad! I think that’s a great idea, very BBQ/picnic-y!

ESJ made good suggestions too, a garden salad would be delicious and a vegetarian friendly option. You could have corn on the cob or some other sort of veggie. Maybe a like a tuna/noodle/pea/cheese chunks type pasta salad? It’s not taste specific and is super cheap to make! All this stuff screams checkered tablecloth-laid back BBQ to me.

Post # 14
368 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2010

Oh and I forgot WATERMELON! Oh man I am soo jealous of your menu, can I come?

Post # 15
3526 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Corn on the cob! Grilled!!!
Homemade coleslaw
Cucumber Salad
Corn bread
Mac N Cheese
Grilled Summer Vegetables (eggplant, zuchinni, etc)

Being from TN I can’t imagine many guests will dislike BBQ!

I would go with rolls or more like a Texas Toast style?

Post # 16
2695 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

NOt sure if this was mentioned above but keep in mind that potato salad can spoil if it isn’t kept cold.  I’ve seen people but the bowl of potato salad inside a tray filled with ice. Just hate for anyone to get a tummy ache at your wedding 🙂

Other easy options is a big pot of beans. We’ve done this for ours and it is super easy to cook up.

Don’t foget sliced onions and pickles.  If you go the sandwich way, you can put out an assortment of chips.

The topic ‘Sister & Brother in Law cooking BBQ for my reception… need sides’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors