(Closed) Sit Down or Buffet Style? (Please vote!)

posted 9 years ago in Food
  • poll: Sit down or Buffet?
    Sit Down : (74 votes)
    48 %
    Buffet Style : (80 votes)
    52 %
  • Post # 17
    3525 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

I’m personally not a big fan of sit down dinners because it’s such a hit or miss if the food’s any good. The only sit down dinner I’ve been to where I actually liked the food is because it was catered by one of the nicest restaurants in town.

I’m a fan of buffet because there are more options. But then I’m not a fancy shmancy wedding type of person either.

We did a Stations Style. Which is similar to buffet but there are various stations set up, lots of choices, I think we had 4 stations and each had 2 main choices with 2 sides. And they were served by a chef, not self serve.

For us it worked great because I’m Chinese and my relatives would not like the steaks and potatoes kinda meal. But yet my husband’s side won’t be able to do a all Chinese meal. So with stations we were able to have a Steak Station with chef carving prime rib, Italian Station, Asian Station that we revamped with more authentic items, Crepe Station.

Everyone went back for seconds! 🙂

Our maitre’d + serving staff took care of telling each table when to go up to get food. My family was initially meh about stations style as well because to them they automatically think Plated dinners when it comes to american weddings. But let me tell you they ate their words come wedding day! 😉

And I just want to say every caterer does buffet/stations differently. As long as the food is good, who cares? I hardly think the food served + style of serving dictates the feel of the wedding.

Post # 18
    9024 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

I prefer buffets because I get to choose what I want on my plate. I can have a little less on of one thing and a little more of another. with sit down, I just get served the standard plate even if I dont like everything on it.

Post # 19
    1501 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

Buffet for sure! More options is great, and people can choose how much of what they want.

Just make sure that people can do two lines, one on each side, this way there is less waiting around.

Also have the MC announce when it is each tables turn that way there isn’t a big line, just a couple tables at a time.

Post # 20
    212 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

I like buffets only because I have never had fantastic food at a sit down dinner. But I think it comes down to the caterer and their abilities with food quality and the actual logistics. Also, I do think buffets are a little more casual but casual is my cup of tea.

In my area, buffets are the absolute norm so the caterers have perfected the process. Food is outstanding and no one waits in line for extended periods of time.

I’ve had to beg for food at sit down dinners as well. Other tables served way before us. Again, it think the success of either depends on your caterer.

Post # 21
    915 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

I vote buffet style. We are planning to do a buffet style simply cuz that will allow the guests to choose their own and get more options. Also, it will be easier to not have to do meal choices for the RSVP cards.

Post # 22
    1303 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

I actually like sit down better but we will likely end up doing a buffet but I dont want to deal with the drama of keeping track of meal choices.  I went to a wedding where people were complaining they did not pick this and that; the DOC had to make a special announcement (aka yelling at everyone) and start handing out RSVP cards as proof.  It was a mess.

Post # 23
    3448 posts
    Sugar bee

I am a big fan of plated dinners when there are a ton of people and I “big-eaters”. That being said, I voted for buffet: more options and only 100 people will make the line go fairly quickly~

Post # 24
    1077 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

If you can afford sit-down, I think it’s more elegant.  

I was torn for ours since it started late, and I thought buffet might get people eating more quickly.  However, I’m so glad we did sit down for these reasons:

1.  W/ sit down, the courses come on a schedule, so we could do things like the slide show or a toast when everyone was in their seats finishing up a course or waiting for the next one.

2.  It was much easier for us to actually eat when the food appeared in front of us and we didn’t need to politely navigate a line and find our way back to a seat with it.  Our servers actually would take our plates away to keep them warm if we got up to visit and bring them back when they saw us coming.  Great touch.

3.  This is the biggest, bestest reason for sit down that I never thought of before our reception:  Everyone stays in their place, so you can make it all the way around the room and be certain to have spent at least a little time with every guest before the general mayhem of dancing begins.

Post # 25
    92 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

I also have OCD and have trouble eating at buffets. Especially if there are children going up to them. I like sit down because as Melini said, you can time it according to your schedule. You can squeeze in some toasts, cake cutting, slideshow, etc.

Post # 26
    629 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

BUFFET all the way! As a guest I always prefer a buffet.  Sit-down may be more “classy” but I couldn’t care less about that– I want to be able to have a great big salad and no meat or the other way around. I just like the options.

Post # 27
    3048 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: January 1991

I would rather serve myself my own food. There are also more options for the buffet. The buffet doesn’t make it that less formal IMO. You can still be assigned seats and the shebang. 🙂

Post # 28
    4354 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

I really dislike buffets at weddings. Being the last table is never fun, you always feel like the food is cold/”left over” plus you’re watching everyone else in the room eat while you wait (even with small groups, the wait sucks). Plus the carrying of food is not ideal. But if you think the options will greatly improve the meal then go for it.

Post # 29
    7774 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

PLATED, fo sho. I didn’t even consider buffet. I think they remind me of a cafeteria. Plus, I am so OCD about food and the thought of that many hands getting near my food before I eat it is a big ole hell no to me. Also: I hate walking around with a plate, I don’t want to stand in line, the food is less fresh most of the time because it’s been in the chafing dishes for god knows how long.

Plated dinners are just so classy. We did one and not only was the food phenomenal, getting white glove service was awesome. All my guests enjoyed it.

If you have guests with dietary restrictions, it’s your responsiblity to find out. I have a friend who is vegan. She told me, I told them and they made her a special meal. And honestly, keeping track of the meal choices wasn’t that big of a deal. I used myweddingworkbook and it did all the computing for me. All I had to do was punch in the information, then I indicated meal choices by having 2 different colored flowers on the place cards (and my friend the veggie had no flower)

Post # 30
    257 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

i like the idea of plated but i’m never happy with what’s served to me.  i like choosing my own food so i vote buffet.

Post # 31
    2410 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

It depends on the caterer and how good they are at executing your vision. I’ve been to lots of black tie formal weddings that had buffets. Everything was done so beautifully that it really worked. It often adds to the decor and I lik ethe fact that there is so much more food and choice.

I have to say in your case though, I really don’t like the fact that your guests will have to serve themselves. Shouldn’t there be staff at the buffet doing the serving? Also, all the weddings I have been to had the exact same buffet set up on both sides of the room to avoid the whole long line scenario.

The topic ‘Sit Down or Buffet Style? (Please vote!)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors