(Closed) size 14/16 bridal, size 12ish street size brides, post pics in your dress!

posted 5 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
693 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I’m 5’9″, street size 12, wedding dress size 14… Don’t worry about it!  🙂  Sure there were plenty of dresses that we couldn’t zip or tie shut, but there were only one or two super narrow mermaids in tiny sizes that I couldn’t get on my body at all. You’ll get them on, and you’ll be able to tell pretty well what they’d look like in your size!

Don’t be self conscious! The consultants certainly won’t be judging you, and you’re beautiful at whatever size you are! 

I don’t have any pictures from when I tried on dresses, but for reference… 

This is what I look like in street clothes (from the morning of the wedding):

And me in my dress:

Post # 4
685 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Also 5’9, they ordered me a size 14 wedding gown, I am usually a size 8-10 street size though. I couldn’t fit in a lot of the designer samples but once they pin you in you can imagine what it looks like.  The dress I chose didnt zip up but didn’t stop my mom and 6 bridesmaids (and me) from crying!

Post # 5
866 posts
Busy bee

I like seeing brides around that size  as well, makes me realize I won’t look as bad as I think

Post # 6
4040 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

This is me in the sample dress. I had a similar experience as PP – I could put on all but one of the dresses (it was a VERY tight mermaid style). Not all zipper/closed but we could get a good idea of what it looked like.

I’m a 12/14 in street clothes. In my designer – Justin Alexander – they ordered me a size 20. I just picked it up yesteray – The waist and hips are a good fit, but the bust is HUGE. Thank heavens for alterations!

Post # 7
59 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I’m 5’6 and I wear a size 14/16 dress, but size 18/20 pants.  I went to one bridal store and was trying on dresses in size 20 and 22 (I really don’t understand why gowns are sized like that…shouldn’t it be the other way to make us feel better not worse!!) Anyway, I ended up in a size 14 dress from David’s Bridal.  At both places I went, there weren’t any issues finding dresses that fit me.  Although, I wasn’t specifically looking for any designers or anything

Post # 8
1066 posts
Bumble bee

@shamrock1228:  You will find that you look fantastic in the dresses..Wedding dresses suit curves.  

Post # 9
1066 posts
Bumble bee

@jellybean80: A size 12 American designed gown is a New Zealand size 14…Feels much better lol

Post # 10
59 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@Kimy:  I feel like if you regularly wear a size 14, your wedding dress should be a 10 or 12!  lol.  Women feel so much pressure and stress as it is, to make the sizing all wacky is just mean!!  When I was at David’s Bridal, I started off with size 22 dresses and was swimming in them!  I know the actual number doesn’t matter, but I’m happy my wedding dress ended up being a smaller size than the street clothes i wear! Maybe I’m just super squishy I dont know lol

Post # 11
6113 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

I wear a size 6 in jeans and an 8 in dresses (wide ribs) and my wedding dress is a 14. Even being an “average” size, most of the samples didn’t zip completely but you can still get a great idea of how the dress will look because they use all these clips and what not to make the dress fit as much as possible. Don’t worry, girls rarely fit into the samples, unless they are like a size 2

Post # 12
364 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2013

@LoveMikey:  Your dress is breathtaking!! What designer is it?

i’m kind of dreading dress shopping. I wear a size 8-10 pants, but looking at size charts I’m pretty sure I’m going to need a 14-16 wedding dress because my boobs are so big.

Post # 14
693 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

@MojitoMeg:  Thank you!! It’s by Pronovias. I absolutely LOVED it. It’s so me. 

Post # 15
231 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@shamrock1228:  i know how you feel. Im going dress shopping tomorrow and am sooo nervous. I know its silly, but i just am. Im worried i wont fit in anything and im mentally preparing myself that i will probably need to go up a few sizes but i know i will be devastated. Im a street size 12.. I’ll let you know how it goes 🙂 x

Post # 16
1116 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I’m same as you, very, very busty..street size 12/14 bridal size 16, here is my dress:

The topic ‘size 14/16 bridal, size 12ish street size brides, post pics in your dress!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors