Sizing of Allure dresses (ordering Allure 8764)

posted 5 years ago in Dress
Post # 4
356 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

Yikes, how many inches away from a 2 is your waist? 

I bought a Casablanca gown, and was in between a 10, 12, and 14.  My waist was more of a 14, but my bust was a size 10.  I decided to go with 12, because I did try on a size 10 dress and I could zip it up, it was just a little tight.  And if I got a 14 they would have to take way too much in around the bust.  I say go with the 2.  The place where you are buying it from should also have some recommendations.

Post # 5
620 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

Sample gowns because they’ve been tried on so much stretch. I would go with the sizing based on your largest measurement (waist) to avoid it being too small/ tight in that area. Or, if the actual Allure measurements for a size 2 are close to your actual measurements and you’re confident you can lets say 2 inches in your waist, go with the size 2. I would order the size 4. I was in the same boat withMaggie Sottero sizing. Everythingwads an 8 except for my hips which were echnically a size 10….I ordered the 10. (had to edit a ton of typos…. Written ony iPhone)

Post # 6
635 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I’m a street size 2/4 but an 8 in Allure. I got my dress in and I’m glad I didn’t order any smaller as I can’t shrink my rib cage. Like PP said, the dresses might have been stretched out, making a 2 seem like it would fit. 

Post # 7
2116 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

I am a  6 street size and ordered a size 8 allure … I was between an 8-10 dress size and I ordered the 8 because I am for sure going to drop a couple of lbs before the wedding and I didnt want to pay extra for alterations . 

ETA- my hips measurement didnt count because it cut off right before my hips

Post # 8
7 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@vanasme- OMG! That is my exact same dilemma! I just ordered my Allure gown today, but I’m having anxiety about the size I ordered. I tried on a size 4 in a boutique, and they had to clip it all the way down to my hips to fit.

My waist is the area I’m concerned about as well, cause it’s 25. Everything else would match up with the size 2. They suggested I order a size 4. Doesn’t make much sense to me since a size 4 needed to be majorly clipped, but I was worried that a size 2 wouldn’t zip! 

Now I’m scared that I’m gonna have to pay a huge alterations bill.

So what size did you end up getting?

Post # 9
6 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2013

To the OP or others who have ordered Allure 8764 in that size range- what size did you end up getting? I have the exact same question- I don’t know whether to order 8764 in a size 2 or a larger size, my measurements are 32-25.5-35. I’m worried that taking the dress in from a larger size would be expensive, but I don’t want to order it too small and not be able to fit the waist. Does the keyhole back allow for some forgiveness in the waist measurement?

Post # 10
1448 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I think Allure is pretty true-to-size.  I’m 37-30-37 and ordered a 12.  The size 10 sample they had felt pretty constricting, and it was a well-loved sample so probably was already “stretched out”

Post # 11
279 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

I don’t really have any advice but I would like to say I love your dress choice cause that is the dress I ordered. I am a 10 but losing weight. Our wedding isn’t until 2014 so they will just have to take mine in. Good luck! Oh and great choice in dress!

Post # 12
6 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I wear anywhere from a 2-6, but ordered the Allure C224 in an 8. I have big hips!

Post # 13
157 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I had the same anxiety.  I usually wear a 2-4 street size.  My consultant said that my bust and hip measured at a 4 and my waist was an 8.  However, it was only like a 1 or 1.5 inch difference from a size 6.   I opted for a size 6 since my bust and hip were closer to that size and I’ll just have to lose 2 inches of my waist (I have 9 months so I got time).  My consultant did say that since I ordered a corset back, its best to order a tighter fit so that way the corset can really “cinch” in your waist but I’ll definitely still have to lose weight no matter what.

Post # 14
49 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I fit into the sample dress of Allure 8919, which I bought… and they wanted me to order 2-3 sizes bigger! But I went with my gut and purchased the sample size. It came perfect and I don’t need any alterations! I’m 5’7′ and wearing my heels even the length was perfect  : ).

Post # 15
6 posts
Newbee

It’s useful to hear what all your experiences with the sizing have been, thank you!

Post # 16
150 posts
Blushing bee

@oldtown613: I just ordered Allure 8856 and had the same concerns! Both of our dresses have the silk charmeuse slip with lace overlay.

The salon measured me at 31.5, 24, 34.5 and recommended the size 2. But I had never measured a 24 inch waist in my life (I thought I was a 25) so I was concerned. 

I talked about it at length with both the salon consultant and the seamstress. They showed me that the silk charmeuse slip is cut on a bias and has some stretch. The overlay is lace sewn onto tulle which has tons of stretch. PLUS the back of the slip at the zipper has a full one inch seam allowance (plus an extra 1/2inch at the sides). The seamstress was quite convinced that even if I was a 25 inch waist I would fit the dress no problem. They said if the dress had any structure/boning they might have recommended the 4, but this particular style is quite forgiving in size.

I hope that helps!

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors