(Closed) Small Ceremony & Guest list

posted 8 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
8353 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2011

We are having a very small wedding and reception too; 50 at the most.

The only advice that I have for you is to invite the same people to both the ceremony and the reception. If I were a guest, I would not be happy to only be invited to the reception. I would like to see from start to finish. I don’t know, I just think that if you don’t invite everyone to the ceremony, they will be less likely to go to the reception.

Other than that, your other option would be to just elope, like your Fiance wants. That way no one would be offended.

I know you want it the way you want it, but weddings seem to bring out the worst and best in families.

Post # 4
493 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I have a friend who did this a few years ago.  She and her fiance got married in their parents back yard and could only accommodate a small number of guests.  A couple hours later they had a reception with several other guests who were not invited to the ceremony.  I can tell you that throughout the reception I heard several people say that they were hurt they were not invited to the ceremony.  One of our friends STILL talks about how hurt she was that she couldn’t see them exchange vows.  I don’t like the idea of excluding certain people from one part of a wedding day but not another.  To me it’s kind of like when people invite guests to the ceremony but not the reception.  It automatically creates a hierarchy of “more important” and “less important” guests…. If you want an intimate ceremony have an intimate reception too.

Post # 5
1778 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I think it is okay to have a small ceremony and a large reception, but the ceremony needs to be on a different day, or like PP said… there will be hard feelings.

Also, if you are worried about what people will think, make your cousin a bridesmaid so that she is IN the wedding.  Then they have no reason to complain.

Post # 7
3219 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

We are having a VERY small ceremony and decided to have it away so we wont have any one complaining that they didnt get invited. We are having a reception with most of our friends & family after.

The topic ‘Small Ceremony & Guest list’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors