Post # 1
I may be in the minority, but I recently ” upgraded” to an iPhone ( free with contract renewal) and I must say, I’m missing my basic phone already. I have fifteen days to swap out for a restocking fee and I’m tempted to do it. Don’t get me wrong, the iPhone has amazing capabilities…but I’m just not sold on the constant connectivity and crappy battery life. Should I go back? Anyone feel similarly or have the same experience?
Post # 2
ms_margarita: What?!! I’d marry my iPhone if it was legal! Lol! Just because you can be connected doesn’t mean you have to be, though it’s very tempting and easy for sure. There are things you can do to prolong your battery life. Fewer push notifications, don’t have it constantly searching for an internet hot spot blah blah blah. But I can definitely see the merits of the more simpler time before smartphones. Soooo…. they still make phones that don’t connect to the internet?
Post # 3
I felt that way once. I got a Galaxy s 3 and LOVE it. The s 4 is out now.
I love mac computers/ipods/etc. but I stick to android for phones.
I have a free upgrade to the newest iphone right now and I will NOT switch. lol.
Post # 4
ms_margarita: Everyone makes fun of my phone because its a flip phone that looks like a refugee from 2004. It does what its supposed to do: texts and makes calls. I am not someone that needs to be connected to the internet 24/7, so I see no need for an Iphone. There is no shame in keeping it simple! Most people I know who have Iphones don’t use them for anything other than checking Facebook, which to me is not a good enough reason to shell out the bucks associated with an Iphone.
Post # 5
Keep it simple! And enjoy the $40+ you save per month by having a dumbphone 🙂 Darling Husband and I both have flip phones– battery lasts for days! I have no plans of upgrading in the near future, despite occasionally getting made fun of for my “antique.” Ultimately, you just need to decide what works best for your lifestyle.
Post # 6
If your phone has the new ios7 the battery life may just be a glitch and if you call Apple they will send you the patch. It’s been a huge problem for them since they started sending it out two weeks ago. The connectivity, I would check with your carrier but there has been some reported bugs for that also. Also have them ping any towers you notice a consistent problem with, sometimes upgrades in towers, which can take weeks, affects connectivity.
There are several iPhone magazines on the flipboard app that I recommend scanning daily for apple/iPhone news.
Post # 7
I just can’t wrap my head around you feeling this way – I LOVE my iPhone almost as much as my husband, haha. I can’t imagine life without it.
Post # 8
Bridey77: all I’ve done on it so far is send texts and call people, lol. I’m on or near my computer all day, so now that I actually have a smartphone I’m seeing how redundant it is, especially because I love my iPad. Sure, I’ve been in situations where a smartphone would be helpful, but I’ve survived this far 🙂 I guess it was one of those things I couldn’t knock till I tried it though. Seems ironic that I’ll be paying $35 to downgrade, but lesson learned I guess 🙂
Post # 9
Miss Boone: I definitely miss that week long battery life. And being able to text without looking 🙂
Post # 10
I use my smartphone as a GPS, as my calendar, to hold books, games and music for when I’m travelling… When smartphones first came out, I wrote down everything I like doing that has an electronic component. Then I bought a phone that let me do 80% of it with the same small device! And when I say ‘smartphone’, I mean this was about 2006 and that’s when there were phones that had built-in mp3 players with a very rudimentary internet browser and 1.3 mp cameras. I flipping loved it! Batteries wear out on any device, and I had enough rage built up from an older text-only phone that I wanted to kick down the railway tracks because the battery would last long enough for a 3 minute phone call and that was it! Now I usually joke that my iPhone is really a camera with a phone attached.
SO, on the other hand, barely uses his cheap pay-as-you-go phone and pays about $100 per year to keep it connected. He uses his iPod Touch for about 90% of what I use my smartphone for, and the other 10% is stuff you just need a data connection for… so he plans ahead better than I do.