- Bichon Frise
- 6 years ago
- Wedding: May 2012
Some of you may have read my previous posts about my aunt. She’s never been very nice to me, but I decided to take the higher road and invite her to my wedding. She waited until the very last day to RSVP, but did say she would be at my wedding. It almost seemed to good to be true. I knew she probably didn’t want to come, but maybe she was doing the nice thing and wanted to support me.
My reception is at a restaurant. We are having a sit down dinner, and all of my entree counts were due two weeks in advance. I sent all my final numbers in, completed my seating chart and wrote out my escort cards. Now here I am 3 days until my wedding, and my aunt facebook messaged me last night to say that she, my uncle and my two cousins can’t come!
She lives 4 hours away. Her reasoning for not being able to come at the last minute is her car needs new tires, and she can’t afford them at the moment. Her mechanic told her that she shouldn’t drive her car long distances without them. Conveniently, her husband’s car is having transmission problems, so they can’t drive his car either. This all sounds a little fishy to me, since she goes on weekend trips all the time, and this is the first I’ve ever heard of her car troubles.
I told my grandmother what happened, so she called my aunt and told her she would pay for a rental car if it meant they could come to the wedding. My aunt’s response was, “That could probably work. We’ll call you back and let you know for sure.” That was last night, and they never called back. I think they just don’t want to come to the wedding, but my grandma keeps telling me that I shouldn’t assume that yet.
With only a few days left until the wedding, I really don’t think my aunt and her family are going to make it. I want to rearrange the seating chart, so that there are not 4 empty seats at one table. I think it’s too late to get a refund on their meals, but I at least don’t want 4 empty chairs side by side. I told my grandmother that I was going to mark my aunt’s family as a no, and she keeps insisting I wait longer for my aunt’s response. What should I do? Should I leave the seating chart as is and risk having a half empty table, or should I go ahead and rearrange it while I still have time?