(Closed) So Confused!? What size are sample gowns & will I fit in them?

posted 7 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
4137 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

they’re usually an 8, 10, or 12.

Post # 4
115 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I think at Kleinfeld’s the samples tend to run around size 10-12, though I know they carry larger sample sizes for certain designs as well.  

Post # 5
6826 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

All the bridal shops I went to had sizes 10-12 and plus sizes (just not as many in plus size for sample dresses

Post # 7
8738 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2011

I went to a lot of boutiques in NYC. Most had sizes ranging from 8 -14 in bridal size.

One place I went only carried actual runway samples (i.e. size 0-2).

I wear a street size 12 and was able to get most dresses on, some didn’t zip all the way, but the consultants are magical with clips.

Some dresses were too big, and again the clips are magical.

Post # 8
Hostess
23599 posts
Honey Beekeeper

Usually, expect to go up about 1-2 sizes from your street size in wedding gowns.  The consultants will usually clip the dresses to let you see how the dress would look once it’s fitted properly to your size. Don’t fret, everything will be fine and you will have such a good time shopping for your gown!

Post # 9
8738 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

@sagbride: It really depends on the designer.

In pronovias, the 10s fit me perfectly (and I’m a street size 12). At some other stores the 12s didn’t quite zip up all the way.

Post # 10
6826 posts
Busy Beekeeper

Wedding gown sizes are not the same as street size.  For example you could be a size 4 and need a size 10 for wedding dress

Post # 11
1398 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I am a size 2/4 and my dress was a 6 – I’ve found for the most part you are 1 to 2 sizes larger than your street size. They will clip you in at the store though it doesn’t need to fit perfectly!

Post # 13
1270 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

All the samples were a size 10 at the store I bought my dress. I am usually a size 4, and they were all pretty big on me. However, I tried on one (and ended up buying it) that was only a little bit too small in the bust area. I had it taken in only one inch. It was about 3 sizes bigger than my usual street size.

Post # 14
843 posts
Busy bee

I am a size 4/6 and I got a dress size 8..so you’ll go up a bit, but only like 1-2…it really depends on the designer.

Post # 15
2100 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I am a size 6-8 and had to be clipped into some samples and some just fit

The dress I chose I had to be crisco’d into and rearrange some body parts to get it on

and many stores cary a range of sample sizes 🙂

Good luck and have fun!!!!

Post # 16
560 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

See I didn’t agree with those sizings at all. I am a street size 16-18 and I bought the sample dress which was a 12. It didn’t zip up all the way, but it was darn close! Everyone is different! Just go shopping openminded! Good luck!!

The topic ‘So Confused!? What size are sample gowns & will I fit in them?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors