- 6 years ago
- Wedding: June 2011
Sorry this is going to be long….
After seeing about 50 houses in the last 3 months, we finally saw a brand new house we both love. However, there is another brand new home down the street that has exact same layout and size, which was $20,000 less than the one we are considering. We did make a visit to the second house and turns out that both exterior and interior finishes were not as nice as we liked, plus there are some more work need to be done before they can sell the house.
The house we like has been on the market for 3 weeks and no offer, reason being that the asking price is too much with no appliances/no central vac/no air conditioning.
The seller agent told our agent that the owner are considering lowering their asking price to match the neighbour, and since they (a couple) actually were about to leave the country for 2 and half weeks for business trip, our agent suggested that we put in the offer before they leave.
So we made an offer, expected that they would sign back with an counter offer, which they did the next day (before they took off). Then we raised our offer, expecting that with this rate, we’d both reach the ideal number that we like.
After the couple landed and received our offer, the agent told us that the seller decided to put this on hold until they come back.
We’ve heard from our agent that the couple argued about their first counter offer, the husband wanted to sell the house, but the wife still wants to sell with their original asking price. (I can imagine if I were her, a sudden drop of $20,000 plus our first offer must’ve made her think they are losing a lot) But the fact is we will have to spend just about $20,000 to furnish the house in order to make it functional.
My husband and I are frustrated and confused. We weren’t sure what took place, maybe the couple argued again, or maybe they were hoping to get more offers in the mean time. In my opinion, it’s their first time investing and selling, that if they knew what they were doing, they wouldn’t be taking the offer and leave it on the table like this.
We are at a lost, we’ve seen too many houses and to be honest, I’m getting so sick of looking. (We are expecting, baby is due in the fall, and that’s why we are hoping to settle into a new house couple months before baby arrives).
I know we can keep looking, but with an offer waiting on the table, I really don’t want to give up this house. I still have hopes on it. Because if they did not like our offer they could easily reject and we can start fresh again…
Has anyone ever had this situation? What would you do about it?